Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

unlocking photo files-

hello, everyone. hope all is well with you and yours. question-
    1- i have some tiff photo files that are locked that i need to do some further "enhancing" on in ps 6.0. tell me "step by step" how to "unlock" them.
    2- then, if i want them relocked, tell me "step by step how to "relock" them.
    3- thank you-

tramp

Hey Tramp, how is it going.

You unlock the files by going to the directory that you have copied them to and right click on them with your mouse and select properties, you should see some properties there that have check boxes, for hidden, system, read only (if checked uncheck it), this will allow you to open the file in PS and then work on it.

Remember if you are moving it into photoshop, there is a colour space environment that is necessary for you to know about, if you are working on them to get printed/or print yourself, or if you are going to use them on the web like we all do.

The working space for printing is Adobe RGB, and for the web it is sRBG. Look for this info in the Help file of PS, it is covered pretty well in there.

If you like books, Adobe Photoshop in a Classroom, is a pretty decent book for beginner level and there are many books by Scott Kelby that are good as well.

Once you have unlocked the files, you don't really have to relock them.

Place all original files in a Directory called Originals. Then create two directories under that, one for "printing" and one for "web". You should always make sure you never overwrite the original files, save them either to printing directory or web directory.

Remember to show your images on the web, use the file/save for web and follow the windows it is pretty self explainatory, make sure you save it to the web directory so you can find it to upload. The dimensions you need to save to are generally within 600 x 480 pixels at resolution of 72 as the starting point.

Work on the files at 100%, and the last thing you do to them usually is, a little unsharpen masking from the filters menu.

That should get you started.

Remember your neighbour has been doing this probably for a little while and might come in and give you a hand to get started.

Hope this makes sense to you, I know it is a lot to remember, you can always print the thread off for reference.

Thread Information