Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help on choosing a macro lens

Hi, I have a Canon 20D - I am looking for a great macro lens. I am looking towards canon lens as thats what i have been using and like.

I have found the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo to be very nice but at around 800 i dont know if i care to spend that much on lens right now :>

Any other great macro lens even non canon ones?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Help on choosing a macro lens

I have the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens and I LOVE IT! It's very sharp and very well built. This lens is selling for about $450 after the mail in rebate. I have also used this lens for portraits and it works great. The 100mm focal lenght lets you keep a little more distance between you and your subject. The only thing about this lens that I don't like is that it doesn't come with a lens hood. That's an extra $40, and if you want the tripod collar, that's even more. I did get the hood, and I'm glad I did, but I passed on the tripoc collar because the one I have for a Sigma lens also fits this lens. Even with the extra cost of the hood, and the tripod collar if you want it, it's still cheaper than the one you mentioned. Check out the reviews on this site also. Lots of great info in there.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Help on choosing a macro lens

I'm not a Canon shooter so I don't know either of those two lenses, but I'd stick with something closer to the 100mm focal length, given to the choice. This will give you more distance between the camera and what you're shooting, at the same magnification. This is helpful because if the camera is only inches from the subject, the camera itself can cause shadows.

Thread Information