Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help! Canon Ixus 700 Lens locked out

I had my canon ixus 700 in my pocket and it appears something has depressed the power button causing the lens to open only partially (i think my thick thighs have prevented it opening further !! lol). I tried to power down but the lens just extended fully and will now not retract. There is no problem with the battery as it has been charged, and all I get is a sound like it is trying to retract but with no physical movement. If its any help, when I switch the setting to review pics on the display the only image I get is the default canon image of a yellow tit sitting on a branch and can not see any images which are on my memory card!

Is there a reset procedure I could try or do you think it is a mechanical problem that will require professional help.

Many thanks if you can help!

Re: Help! Canon Ixus 700 Lens locked out

sounds similar to the infamous E18 error.

I'm sure that every1 looking at this right now would love to be able to do a quick fix for the dreaded E18 error. Well, I have fixed mine several time in less time that it takes to take a picture. So here it is: This error occurs when the lens is "stuck" or not extending "straight". The error can happen in 3 ways: either when the lens wont "come out", or "comes out" and then retracts, or does not retract at all. Mine did all of these at one stage or another.
    1) If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, but then retracts again, do as follow:
    Turn the camera off. Place the camera on it's back with the lens facing up and have a look at the "spacing" between the lens and the lens housing. You'll probably notice that the gap is NOT EVEN all the way around. To fix this, simply -VERY GENTLY- press down on the side where the gap is the biggest. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place. Try powering it back on.
    2) If the lens is extended all the time and won't retarct at all, do as follow:
    Turn the camera off. Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently, in turn, take the two part of the lens and gently move it round in a cuirclar movement. Do so with both sections of the lens. You will once again hear a little "click" as it pops back in place. Power the camera on.
    This has worked for me many times and it seems to happen when the camera has been carried around and possible had a little knock. I hope this is of help to someone else.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Re: Help! Canon Ixus 700 Lens locked out

Quote Originally Posted by bluntshooter
    I had my canon ixus 700 in my pocket and it appears something has depressed the power button causing the lens to open only partially (i think my thick thighs have prevented it opening further !! lol). I tried to power down but the lens just extended fully and will now not retract. There is no problem with the battery as it has been charged, and all I get is a sound like it is trying to retract but with no physical movement. If its any help, when I switch the setting to review pics on the display the only image I get is the default canon image of a yellow tit sitting on a branch and can not see any images which are on my memory card!

Is there a reset procedure I could try or do you think it is a mechanical problem that will require professional help.

Many thanks if you can help!
    I thing it's time to go to the repair shop.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information