Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Hello :)

Smile Hello :)

Hello everyone, I stumbled upon this forum searching for a camera and thought that this would be a great addition to my learning experience with photography.

A little about myself, im 16 years old, taking a black and white photography class at my school(black and white is my favorite but i do all), i've been interested in cameras and taking pictures ever since i was 12. I love to travel, last year we went to Yellow Stone National Park and it was perfect for taking wonderful pictures. Right now I only own a Digital Camera, but am seeking a SLR Film Camera to purchase. In the future I wish to make photography my living.

And yes, I do request help.

I'm looking for a 35mm SLR Film Camera, my budget is $400 or under. I need one that you can manually zoom, but one that has autofocus and manual zoom would be nice. I was looking at the N75 by nikon...found here: http://www.canogacamera.com/e/env/10.../goto_n75.html

Are you able to use manual zoom on this camera? But then again maybe this isnt the right camera for me, so I ask you Ladies and Gentlemen. What would be a good camera to use for me under $400?

Thankyou all, and i hope i enjoy my stay at these forums.

p.s.-I appreciate the quick help Photo-John.

SLR's have interchangeable lenses, and any zoom lens mounted on one would be manually controlled. With this camera and an autofocus lens, you would have autofocus - you need both the camera body and lens to be made for autofocus systems. It's also important to be able to manually focus as well. There are situations when AF doesn't work well - low light levels, for instance.

A lot of people have started out with an all manual camera and a prime (non-zoom) lens. This will force you to think about everything you're doing - exactly what you're focusing on and how you want to set shutter speed and aperture, and composition. I started out this way but I'm a little older and there weren't AF cameras then... Still, in tricky situations I fall back on manual control because I know what I'll get in terms of exposure. A used Nikon FM2n and 50mm f1.4 AI lens could probably be had for this amount, and will last for a lifetime.

Good luck!

I know nothing about Nikon because I own Canon. A few years ago I bought a Rebel Ti, and was just thrilled with it. At that time the camera and kit lens were about $350; I'm sure they're less now. The link you posted shows a camera that looks like the same quality as my Ti, if so I'm sure it's everything you'll need for awhile.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

ok i thought about it, and i think im going to purchase a all manual camera. any suggestions? my budget is 400 dollars or under.

and thankyou for your replies kellybean and another_view.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Well , I can't see why a Canon AE1, Pentax K1000, Nikon FG, Minolta SRT101 won't fill your needs with a 50mm lens and a second in the range you desire most(tele, wide, portrait, macro.....)

try WWW.KEH.COM for RELIABLE second hand gear at a fair price
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

thankyou for your post paulnj. i'll check those out.

ok guys, i talked to my photography teacher. he said to get a minolta, specifically the one found here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=240428&is=USA

only he knows someone who owns a camera shop so I'd get this whole deal you see at this page for $200 instead of the $318.

would this be the way to go?

thankyou for your opinions so far.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    you may also want to consider Ebay, or checking your local mom and pop camera store...( I myself would stay away form wolf/ ritz etc... just personal choice, they've steered me wrong before....)
    On Ebay: manual SLR's can be found there for under 100.00, sometimes they go for 40.00... I shoot with a minolta SRT 101 and I've found lenses for it for under 60 at my local camera store........

Just a thought...
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

what exactly do you mean by (I myself would stay away form wolf/ ritz etc)..

what is wolf/ritz? sorry you can tell that im new to all of this.

Wolf Camera and Ritz Camera are chain stores, I think they're under the same ownership. I don't have much experience with them personally, but one experience was a bad one. B&H has always been good to me, as well as many other people on this site. Of the new gear I buy, 90% comes from them. There are a lot of other good places to go to, but buying equipment on the web is probably best once you know exactly what you want. You don't have the advantage of being able to see it and try it out before you buy.

Nothing wrong with buying used either. I have a lot I've bought used, but like anything it helps to know a little about it. Typical stuff like a reputable seller (like KEH) also helps if there's a problem.

Sticking with what the instructor says to get is a good idea. One thing in favor of Nikon - all of their bodies and lenses are compatible (to some degree, anyway). That way you could start building a system. Not sure about Minolta, but Canon's older FD mount won't work with the current EOS cameras. Olympus isn't making 35mm cameras anymore. There are great bargains out there for these systems, but you're limited down the road. For $100-$200 you could get something that you'll learn a lot from. I wouldn't be too worried about that yet with your first camera and a couple of lenses, but keep it in mind if you start accumulating lenses, flashes, cables, etc. One brand, and sometimes different types within the same brand, aren't compatible with each other.

If you look at Nikon, the FM2n is a classic. You could probably find one for $200-250 on ebay in good shape, and a 50 f1.4 AI manual focus lens for about $100. For less than that, get the same lens but an FM body for $100 or so. I'm not trying to push their gear, but it's what I know.

good information to know in the future, thankyou another view. i'll keep that in mind.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    Yes, Ritz and Wolf are owned by the same company now, they are one and the same, I just mention them because Alot of people, once they start getting serious about photography, think its good to go to them. I have purchased from B&H once, and not had a problem.. You will find a lot of good deals on the web. Different people do things differently, If i can I check stuff out where I can see it, then get a good price on the web.. I also utilize sites like Epinions.com and see what people are saying... Usually epinions won't have that much info, but its just an example. I 'google' products and read up on them tons!! I agree that you should stick with what your instructor suggested, It looks like a good sturdy camera. I have a nikon and a Minolta, the Nikon, well, i think the lenses are a little harder to find for a moderate price, but I've only done a search a few times for them, But there are other companies that make lenses that fit Nikon - Quanteray and Nikkor are two, you just have to know what type of "mount" you have on your camera.... I don't know if you've heard this saying yet, but it's true **to some degree**
    "It's not the camera, it's the photographer"

But of course, all camera's have different functions -some you want, some, not so much...My first camera, I bought new, Cost me $550.00 It didn't take a cable release, and it lacked a couple of other things that I would of liked to have once I found out more about shooting film. So, If I knew then what I know now... I'd had alot more money to spend on film etc, instead of spending soooo much on a camera...
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

ok so i'll:

1. stay away from ritz/wolf
    2. look around before choosing where to buy
    3. research the camera im buying and learn as much as possible about it.
    4. listen to you guys.

thanks clicker.

That Minolta X-370 you're looking at, is a pretty solidly built older design that's still in production. It's been around for many years, with a solid reputation. Since it's well within your budget to buy the outfit New, I would recommend doing so - thus avoiding the risk you'd take with any Used units, of 'not knowing where they've been'. If the teacher's friend in the business can put you in the outfit New for $200, I'd grab it without hesitation - I think B&H gets $190 for the Body alone.

The MD lenses for manual focus, and the Maxxum lenses for autofocus, are not compatible - so if you made the move to autofocus later, you'd have to re-do everything 'from scratch'.

Another thing to consider, is that for the same money or just a few dollars more, you could start out with a Maxxum autofocus outfit WITH manual capabilities - giving you the manual ability for those learning projects, and the latest automation where it is useful - and every lens would be compatible as you advance up the line on cameras, even all the way to the Maxxum 7 (like I have) or the all-pro Maxxum 9 - or the '7 Digital' that's being introduced in the next few weeks.

Take a look around on B&H at the Maxxum kits, and give this some thought. Skip the basic Maxxum QT, which is all-auto and no manual - and work your way up the line from there. The Htsi Plus and the Maxxum 5 are excellent values, offering most of the latest auto-wizardry along with full manual capabilities.

Heck, even the Maxxum 7 (though beyond your budget, at $399 for the Body alone) can be a great camera to learn on - and one would be hard pressed to EVER outgrow its capabilities.

As for Lenses, beyond your initial kit, Minolta lenses are probably the best value in the marketplace. Many excellent Used lenses - for either Manual or Maxxum - can be found on eBay constantly, and that is where I have amassed my own collection.
    --------------------
    Now - if you're gonna be a Minolta owner, then you may as well join a Minolta group also. You can find a bunch of them (about 140 now, I think) on Yahoo Groups - http://groups.yahoo.com . Just search there for 'Minolta' for a complete listing.

I personally operate the 'Mind Of Minolta' group on there. I'm a Maxxum shooter, primarily, but we have a lot of members using Manual gear, including some X-370 owners. About 100 members currently, and carefully maintained as a 'family friendly' forum.

And then, if you'd like a crash course in 'Everything Minolta', I can also recommend the 4700+ member 'Minolta' forum - which generates 50-75 postings a day on all models, all topics, from users worldwide. Quite educational, if you can keep up with the sheer volume of reading involved.

And it's good to stay tuned to a General forum as well, to stay abreast of what's out there. Right Here is a good place to do that.
    ------------------------------
    Whatever your final equipment choice may be, remember that the Camera is just a Tool. It's what the Photographer, as a skilled craftsman, can do with that tool, that makes the results. I have seen Bad pictures from a $20,000 camera - and Great pictures from a $20 camera. The operator does make a difference.

Along the journey of learning, you're going to get more 'duds' than 'masterpieces' - we all do. The key is to figure out what made the 'duds' duds, and steadily improve on it. You'll get plenty of advice, good and bad, along the way - and you'll develop your own judgement and skill by evaluating it all.

OK. Now - choose your tools, and hit the ground shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    But there are other companies that make lenses that fit Nikon - Quanteray and Nikkor are two
    Actually Nikkor is Nikon's brand name for their lenses - they are Nikon lenses. Quantaray is Ritz's brand and probably built by Sigma. The three most popular after-market brands are Sigma, Tokina and Tamron.

Lenses made by the camera manufacturer are usually (but not always) better than 3rd party lenses but usually cost more too. Are you confused yet?!!

If she isn't, then we just might make a Photographer out of her!

SHHHHH.. the F-15 is a plane , not F(emale) 15. In reading HIS user profile you will see he likes planes amoung other things ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

wow clemmie, this is awesome, im actually going to print what you said onto a piece of paper, actually i think im gonna print this whole thread. no im not confused YET, i read everything very carefully. i'm going to join that group your talking about with 140 people in it. it sounds interesting and 'minolta' just may be the camera of my choice. i'm going to stick with the 200 dollar deal like you suggested. and go more advanced later when i more understand photography and its art.

yes im a male. (paulnj thanks for pointing this out)

and thankyou all for your great support and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie
    If she isn't, then we just might make a Photographer out of her!
    Yes, I can clearly tell Mr. F-15 is Male - and had originally referred to him.

Then, upon re-reading, I realized it was 'Clicker' who had raised the question on the Nikkor lenses. I'm assuming that Rachel is still a female name, even in today's crazy world - and revised accordingly.

heh ok, so i joined this group of yours clemmie. i'll visit it daily, or try to. looks pretty cool.

....................ah Ha ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Quote Originally Posted by F-15_Flyer
    heh ok, so i joined this group of yours clemmie. i'll visit it daily, or try to. looks pretty cool.
    I thought that new member today was probably you. Welcome Aboard!

When you check in again, you'll find you're now cleared for direct posting. I use that 'moderate first post' delay to catch and eliminate spammers - highly effective.

Be sure to do another post there soon, to introduce yourself to the group and share what you're looking at in equipment. I feel sure there are more useful comments to be found there.

Thread Information