Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Hello

johnny6200

Hello

Hi,

I just joined photographic review and am a novice digital camera user. Right now I have a cast off camera from my daughter, an old Canon PowerShot A400, 3.2 megapixels. I've got a background in film photography, and was excited about going digital until I tried to take some fast action shots of my kids.

That's when I discovered digital shutter delay, which ws quite frustrating.

Can anybody recommend a low end camera that doesn't have this delay, or maybe techniques for compensating for it?

Thanks,

John

Re: Hello

Techniques for compensating for it:

Press button down halfway, the camera will then meter the scene, charge flash (if applicable), autofocus, and be ready to shoot instantly, indicating that it's ready to take a picture by having the autofocus box turn green, and/or an LED flashing by the viewfinder, it will be obvious.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I don't know that camera, but the more that you can set manually the better off you'll be for reducing shutter lag time. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 which, at about five years old, is a bit of an antique but it has full manual control. There's a big difference between this camera used fully manually (especially focus) and fully automatic.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

as mr. yuck said, pressing halfway is the most sure-fire way to decrease shutter lag, and only p&s cameras directly aimed at sports photography will have a much better shutter response time from just jamming the button in until it finally clicks.

Thread Information