Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: green blotches?

green blotches?

Are the green blotches on the upper right of the branches the sensor heating up or is it crud on sensor?
    TV 90 seconds
    AV 14
    ISO 100
    9:00 at night wind temp about 42F
    This is the last in about 8 shots, so maybe sensor getting hot?
    I really don't want to fry my sensor.
    Jimmy B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails green blotches?-img_3031_1.jpg  

Re: green blotches?

Looks like a case of hot pixels. They can show up on any camera, especially with long shutter speeds. The longer the speed, the more of them you'll probably see. I've heard that if you send it to the manufacturer to be fixed, they just tell the camera's processor to ignore those pixels from the sensor. It's easy to clone them out in Photoshop, and no - you're not hurting the camera.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think it looks far bigger than failed pixels. unless something has happened in the processing.
    I assume this doesn't show on the other pictures.

Was there a car perhaps, out of shot, where the light of the headlamps if internally reflected in the lens to cause this?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Paul they showed up in the last 3 shots of the 5 I took.I shot them in a :20 minute time frame.
    I shot a series of shots tonight at my gray card and didnt see anything, a good thing!
    There were no cars out there that I can remember.
    Thank's all for the feedback, Jimmy B

Try some more long exposure shots - if they show up in the same places then they're hot pixels. You could see more or less of them but they don't move. If your shot only has one but it's in the same spot, this is the problem. They do look bigger than the hot pixels I've had, but I'm thinking that the 90s shutter speed may have had something to do with that. Usually it's one pixel that's this color and one or two pixels away will show a bit of this color.

I'm not so sure, with the image reduced to this small size for posting, the original artefact has to be huge, covering many pixels.
    I've shot way over 90 second exposure and not seen artefacts like this.
    My hot pixel is just that, one totally white pixel on the whole 1D sensor.
    PAul

OK tonight in just about the same circumstances, shot one @ 60 seconds looking in a different direction, no blotches. Shooting the same direction as the first photo, I think it's just lens flair from the next door yard lamp:mad2: Next time I go out and shoot that tree I am going to throw a towel over the lamp and see what happens?
    Thank you all for all the input. It's easy to ask stupid ?s before making really stupid expensive mistakes.
    Jimmy B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails green blotches?-img_3039_1.jpg   green blotches?-img_3041_1.jpg  

Using a UV filter by chance? If so, take it off for stuff like this. The green spots could have been from light bouncing off the front lens element onto the filter, but they are the same color as most of the hot pixels I've seen. I see two spots in your second shot in the above post that make me wonder about a filter. If you're not using a lens hood, try one of those too.

UV filter = yes
    lens hood = yes
    never even considered the UV filter
    Jimmy B

Jimmy, I took a lot of night pictures last night. I only shot one with a exposure as long as yours and I got the same green dots. Remembering this post I lower my shutter speed and opened the aperature to compensate and the problem went away. I used no filters. But at night I like to have as high an f/stop as I can get because of the star effect on lights. Hope this helped...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

On a long exposure are you using the rubber cover provided to go over the eyepiece?
    PAul

Thread Information