Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

A good small tripod?

I'm looking for recommendations on a good small tripod. I picked up a cheapo one from walmart that is about 12" collapsed and 24" extended. The size is perfect but everything else is horrible:blush2:

I'd like a small one so I can hook it on the side of my camera bag and not have to carry around 2 bags when I go hiking, etc.
    Nikon D90
    -Nikkor 18-200VR
    -Sigma 10-20mm

Re: A good small tripod?

Any of these Giotto, Gitzo, Manfrotto, or Slik should have a small tripod which should meet your size requirments but the lighter it is the more it may cost. As for the head unless your going to us large (heavy) telephoto lenses a small ball head on the tripod would save you some weight.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I've had two Gitzo tripods and they are really good, but not inexpensive. However, a tripod is one of the few things in photography (especially digital) that won't go obselete next week! My 1228 is several or more years old (purchased used) and still going strong.

Bogen/Manfrotto's 3025 head (there may be a new number for it now) is really solid, light weight and inexpensive. It's a 3-way head so it's not as quick to use as a ballhead, but sometimes it's nice to adjust one axis at a time.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I have the Manfrotto 3001BN tripoad with the 484RC2 head and its really good (for me). The heaviest setup I have for it is my D2h & 150 macro lens. My camera backpack has a tripod holder on the side, and I'm able to hike around all day with it and not be too heavy. Of course depending on what I'm planning on shooting I end up just leaving my camera on the tripod.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

The Velbon Maxi 343E is a decent lightweight tripod. It's pretty lightweight so you have to be careful with it. It won't be to stable in the wind either, but it is inexpensive and offers decent support.

I picked up a Benro on ebay as kind of an experiment, and so far I like it quite well. I bought a Markins Q3 Emille head for it and for me it's a great lightweight setup for around $400. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. The Velbon is of course much less expensive, but isn't nearly as sturdy either.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I have a velbon p-max that I took backpacking around europe. I love the twist lock legs as it means you can set it up or pull it down in a real hurry and it leightweight carbon design is great. It isn't exactly as firm as a good steel set of legs but with size and weight in mind it is ok and the locking mechanism is strong enough that its head will cope with longer heavier glass. that said i only ever use it with a cable release.

I have a Velbon MaxiF which I find excellent on the boat where space is at a premiun - packs up small and is very light. The head I chose comes with levels for landscapes. Ypu can turn the head around so use the camera upside down to. All legs are twist lock.

It will also drop almost flat for those low shots and expands to suit my 6' height.

It supports my 5D with a 100-400 zoom in moderate winds.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information