Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

A good replacement for an EFS 18-55?

I just recently moved up to DSLR's from my standard digital point-and-shoot cam. What I have now is a Canon 350D which had an 18-55 lens kit. I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on what Canon lense could replace my kit lense as an all-purpose kinda lense. The 18-55 doesn't quite fill the void, very limited in some areas. However, am not brave enough to go to those L lenses. So, i guess something that would cover wide shots as well as having a decent zoom capability and affordable!

Thanks.

Liz

Re: A good replacement for an EFS 18-55?

You have a few options. Here are a few suggestions. I've included a Tamron because it's a nice lens, albeit not Canon.

Canon
    17-85mm IS lens approx $599 - IS is good for low light....gives you about 3 stops
    28-135 IS lens - approx $400

You might try 2 excellent primes - both small and with great optics
    Canon 35mm/f2.0 for $229 and and Canon 50mm/f1.8 for $70

Tamron 28-75mm/f2.8 (all the way through) XR DI LD Aspherical $400

I'm sure others will give you more suggestions.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mikster121
    I just recently moved up to DSLR's from my standard digital point-and-shoot cam. What I have now is a Canon 350D which had an 18-55 lens kit. I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on what Canon lense could replace my kit lense as an all-purpose kinda lense. The 18-55 doesn't quite fill the void, very limited in some areas. However, am not brave enough to go to those L lenses. So, i guess something that would cover wide shots as well as having a decent zoom capability and affordable!

Thanks.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

"I guess something that would cover wide shots as well as having a decent zoom capability and affordable"

Liz suggested some great lenses, but Ithink she missed the WIDE/ tele issue

How about a 18-135 sigma? It won't be the BEST lens ever, but will perform as good, if not bet than, a 18-55 ;)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

You could also go with an all in one 18-200 by sigma/ tamron($399), but I personally would shy away myself. A range that broud is BEST covered by 2 lenses( 17-85/ 70-200)

Liz suggested a 28-135 IS, that would be a great all around lens WITH the 18-55 covering the WIDE ranges ;)

This is the 28-70 F2.8 I have. and I will put the image quality up against a sigma/ tamron any day ;) Obviously the lens isn't as good as a CANON lens in that range( $1000 more) , but it fills my needs quite well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the advice. After reading your posts I went to the camera shop to check out your suggestions and i have to say, both lenses are great! (tried a couple of test shots in the shop)

Well, I'm quite torn between the 17-85 IS and the 28-135 IS... both are within my budget thus I can only afford to get one of them. Just to give you guys a background, a friend of mine sold me his SIGMA 70-300 APO for $85... so i guess my telephoto requirements is practically filled.

With that in mind, is it safe for me to get the 17-85 IS? With regards to image quality, is safe for me to assume that they're just the same?

Thanks

P.S. Got the 50mm f1.8.... very nice lens! Considering the price.

Sounds to me like the 17-85 will fit your needs best ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Great! Thanks so much for the advise. As a token of appreciation, allow me to send you and Liz a photo (using the 17-85 once I) of Manila.

I assure you we both answered your question for the love of helping others achieve their goal!

I find your offer to be extremely nice!!

IF you honestly want to send me a print, PM me(click on my user name and send a PM to me) and I will give you my address. Honestly though, the fact that I could help(as other have done for me) was more than enough ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Sounds like a plan.... i'll send something once I get the lens and take the first few photos with it.

Thanks

Thread Information