Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

good lens for live music pics

im about to buy a cannon eos 400 d ( xti ) and i would let to know what type lens would be best for taking pics of live bands ( rock gigs) im on a bit of a tight budget what type lens would you recomend?

thanks in advace for the help

andy

Re: good lens for live music pics

you could always try the ef 50mm 1.8 theres in the 70-100$ range and by the looks off allisons pics and brads pics there a wicked lens over all! and its real cheap too!
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Rock gigs, typically in cavern-like clubs, so not much light.
    Get the widest aperture lens you can afford.
    How close will you be?
    If you're in the photographer's pit in front of the crowd at the stage edge, 50mm ought to work.
    And you can't get much cheaper than the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

would this be the one ?

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s12878/...y=False&comp=n

i was thinking of getting this package

Canon EOS 400D (Black) + EFS 18-55mm Lens + Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro (Canon AF)+ Sandisk 2GB Ultra II Compactflash Card
    Only £477.97 (normally £627.97)

but liz said i would be better getiing the 400d with the efs 18-55 and the 50mm 1.8

would u say thats the better option as well?

thanks for the help

thats the one, im getting one for my birth day woooo
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Andy - photographing live bands the lighting is usually very low. You need a lens with a wide aperture (2.8 or 1.8 or even 1.4) unfortunately the wider the aperture usually the higher the cost. Focal lengths will depend on how close to the band you are able to get to. Doing concert shots your looking at high ISO and a Wide Aperture to get the ambient light to get the correct exposure.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

50 f1.4 if you can afford it, or a 50 f1.8 (which is 2/3 stop slower) otherwise.

I've shot bands and played in them for years - this is the place to start. I think Sigma's 30 f1.4 could be a good choice for a second lens but start with the 50. VR or IS won't get you too far in a case like this (but of course it doesn't hurt) - the maximum aperture is the most important thing and these lenses aren't available with it. Fortunately even the 50 f1.4 is relatively inexpensive for how incredibly sharp it will be (true of Nikon and I'm sure of Canon).

Shoot a lot and check the histogram because any kind of stage lighting will be very contrasty. If it looks dramatic to your eye, it'll be hard to photograph. Don't expect a high percentage of "keeper" shots, especially as you get used to shooting like this. It's not easy but when you get a few good ones it's all worthwhile.

I have to agree you need fast lenses. I would say any lens that is F2.8 or faster would be good. Remember you camera has to have good high ISO performance also.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information