Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Gaffer's tape on camera body??

When shooting, I am constantly worrying about two things, the shot and scratching or dinging my camera body. I have lots of gaffer's tape lying around, and taped a few spots that are overdue for a scratch. I read allot of threads on this topic but there was mixed thoughts. A few also mentioned electrical tapes but it doesn’t give a good grip feeling compared to Gaffer's tape. Also would be great for covering up logos and names on the camera. I have a Sony a700 and I love the fact it has a orange alpha sign because my favorite color is orange but that and the SONY logo really sticks out.

Thanks

Re: Gaffer's tape on camera body??

I don't think there is anything wrong with sticking gaffer tape on the body. In fact, it would probably deter theives from taking it, as they may see it as a crappy camera because it's covered in gaffer tape.

On the flip side, the sticky residue may be hard to get off if you decide to take it off at a later date.

Not a bad idea I reckon.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Good thing about gaffers tape is minimal residue, unlike duct tape.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

That's the main advantage of g-tape - no residue, but if you leave it on for a long time I'm not sure what would happen. Personally my cameras are tools and if something gets a scratch that's part of life, but to each his own.

The A700 is pretty sturdy and can take some hits in stride, I personally don't worry about battle scars on my equipment. But, that doesn't mean I'm careless in anyway, I just accept the occasional scratch as part of the price of actually using a piece of equipment.

Just look at some pro's gear- I've seen some pretty battered looking Canon 1dx mk-whatevers, and 70-200L glass...

BM

Thanks guys.

Last night I went a little mad with the tape but I found it to be all good fun. Its true though I shouldn’t worry too much about scratches but Im one of those people that look for "defects", and If I see something, I can’t help but keep staring at it. Guess it’s just me. But come to think of it, It actully might also help keep moisture out.

Im glad it has little or no residue, and I do plan on changing it with new tape every once and awhile. Plus, it looks awesome on it, I think so anyways. It doesn’t even look like a Sony anymore, It looks just like a generic camera, just the way I like it
    Last edited by LightBright; 03-11-2009 at 08:57 PM.

use the force I say (It has a dark side and a lite side and it binds the universe together) wont you just look at the dings in the gaffer? wouldn't you be better served with something like camera armour. it would be easier to take off and probably protects the camera better from things like drops.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBright
    But come to think of it, It actully might also help keep moisture out.
    Or in, actually. I look at Camera Armor and see that problem.

I certainly don't abuse my equipment but I do view them as tools to do a job and they will sometimes suffer some ill effects from being in the trenches with me getting the job done. I view each nick, scratch, dent or paint worn down to brass as a badge of honor. Grandpa Nikon here has been with me since 1972 and is still going strong. If I choice to shot film this would be the guy I'd take with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gaffer's tape on camera body??-grandpa.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I put gaffers tape on my sports bodies as well. I put it in places that are going to get dinged as well as where I could use a little extra grip.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

...I shouldn’t worry too much about scratches but Im one of those people that look for "defects", and If I see something, I can’t help but keep staring at it.

OCD

I know the feeling, but it's like facing your fears. It takes a conscious effort to learn to let it go...

I tried being real nice w/ my F828 years ago, but one fateful day, it fell off the computer table while I was transferring pictures w/ the cf door open. It hit the ground, and the door shattered. Some creative use of tape kept the camera functional (to get rid of the "cf door is open" message), but I had to accept my battered piece of equipment the way it was.

BM

- " wouldn't you be better served with something like camera armour. it would be easier to take off and probably protects the camera better from things like drops."

I wished I could use camera armor but they don’t have one that fits the a700. I did send them a message about 3 months ago if they had any plans on making on the 700 but they said "we do not have any plans on making protection for that camera, I will note your interest".

- "Or in, actually. I look at Camera Armor and see that problem"

True true

- Old Timer that’s a beautiful camera, those "defects" make it very unique.

- "I put gaffers tape on my sports bodies as well. I put it in places that are going to get dinged as well as where I could use a little extra grip."

Ya g-tape has amazing grip to it. I find it much more comfortable to hold.

- "OCD

I know the feeling, but it's like facing your fears. It takes a conscious effort to learn to let it go...

I tried being real nice w/ my F828 years ago, but one fateful day, it fell off the computer table while I was transferring pictures w/ the cf door open. It hit the ground, and the door shattered. Some creative use of tape kept the camera functional (to get rid of the "cf door is open" message), but I had to accept my battered piece of equipment the way it was."

You read me like a book, yes definitely ocd lol. My car is pretty scratched up, and has dents, but I don’t mind. But my camera is a different story. I think this black tape is perfect for me; it makes me a little bit more comfortable.

Edited

Took some pics of the alpha 700

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=276662

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=276662

Sorry for the bad image quality, I was useing a really bad p&s

This is how the lens and body would look with out the tape.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0502/Sigma/30mm.jpg

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/files/s...ha-700body.jpg
    Last edited by LightBright; 03-12-2009 at 02:46 PM.

I am constantly worrying about two things, the shot and scratching or dinging my camera body.
    I think the biggest thing is that you overcome the second part of this statement in your OP above. If the tape does that and you can devote 100% (or close to it) to the shot, then I'll bet you'll see the results in your photography.

That's the thing that convinced me that automatic modes weren't a bad thing - know the pitfalls and when you need exposure compensation etc, but it's one less thing to think about so you can pay more attention to the shot. That's what it's all about!

Being a theatre guy and using it ALL the time, I should mention that it is a great way to protect your equipment. It has capabilities to provide extra grip and is tear resistant, but as far as leaving it on your stuff for a while thats where it has issues. Gaffe tape leaves a residue if left on for a long time. Its more of a crusty yellow reside and its a pain in the rear to get off. We have this problem at the theatre. What you should do is take it off every couple of weeks and put a new piece on. That way you'll always have a fresh one on. But I LOVE the stuff. :-)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Have you looked into something like this?

http://twipphoto.com/archives/3410
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Good link mjs. I think that’s more suitable in extreme cold conditions. But its definitely good to know there are products such as this one when needed.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Thread Information