Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Photo reproduction advice (quick response appreciated)

I'm trying do do a reproduction of these two photos below. What lighting setup would you suggest, to best recreate the one that was probably used in each one? My goal is to make it look as close to the original as it can get using only household lamps and homemade modifications. I'd appreciate quick responses as my model could arrive any minute now :P Thanks!

First one:

ht tp://i40.tinypic.com/2ur6yiw.jpg

Second one:

ht tp://i42.tinypic.com/veao05.jpg

Sorry for posting them as broken down URLs, but didn't have time to post 10 comments so the forum would allow me to do otherwise :S Just delete the space between two Ts in http to make it work.

Re: Photo reproduction advice (quick response appreciated)

The first image is done with a fairly large light source off to the model's left. You could try putting your model next to a white wall then pointing your household light at the wall (and not at the model) so that she is lit by light reflected off the wall. Use a telephoto lens so that the wall, light etc. are well out of the field. This setup is going to absorb lots of light so use a high ISO. There is actually a splash of light on her hair which makes me think the original might have been done out-of-doors

The second image (brown-haired girl) is done with a light in a fairly large reflector shining straight at the subject from her right, just above the level of her eyes. She is looking directly at the light source and you are again using a telephoto lens at a fairly wide aperture to put the background out-of-focus.

Where are you in Poland? I'm in Krakow right now. Lots of pretty girls around here.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Damn, too bad that I noticed your response now, after the session is over...use of telephoto lens might have helped! Thanks for the reply anyway, will use your advice to repeat the session if I fail the course...which I hope won't happen.

I'm in Warsaw. There are beautiful girls all around the country, that I can guarantee!

good !

that is good , thanks for your sharing !

Thread Information