Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: focus question

Just me and my camera

Question focus question

hi everyone,
    I have question about focusing.When you want to photograph two people in a picture but one is closer to the camera, and the other is a few feet behind that person, how do you get both of them in focus? thanks.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Re: focus question

You increase set the f number to F8+ - this depends on how far apart they are and what the lens is.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Yup...the smaller the f/stop,(bigger number) the more depth of field you'll have.
    Aside from using smaller f/stop you can try to get your focus in between the two or use manual focus.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

frog's explanation may have been a little confusing, but because the system is a little strange too, and is backwards from what you would think.

To achieve more depth of field (the range of distance of accepted sharpness in a photo) you need to make the opening of your lens smaller. This will require the camera to expose for a longer period of time to get the same amount of light as usual because the light is traveling through a small opening. But when you make the opening smaller (aka stop it down) it gives you more depth of field. WHat is tricky is that if you want a bigger opening, you have to use a smaller "aperture" on your camera. f/2.8 would mean the lens opening is much bigger than f/11. So if you want more depth of field, you want to close the lens more, and pick a larger f/ number. But remember, you need a longer shutter speed (the camera will be exposing for longer) every time you stop down the lens.

Good points brought up about how it all works, and it's important to understand. If it were me, at a "normal distance" of say 8-12' away I'd focus on the closer person and probably use f8 as well.

There are two reasons I'd focus on the closer of the two people. First, there will be a bit more depth of field beyond the focus point than in front of it. If they were 3' away and it was really critical, technically you should focus 1' beyond the closest person (2' ahead of the farthest). Second, if I didn't get my depth of field right and had to pick which person would be sharpest it would probably be the closest...

Just me and my camera

thank you so much everyone, your replies have been really helpful.

Changing the depth of field makes a lot of sense to me.
    And so technically I should place my focus point pretty much in between the two people (but as AV said, another option is to focus on the closest person to the camera); is that the same idea for manual focusing as well?
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGirl
    And so technically I should place my focus point pretty much in between the two people (but as AV said, another option is to focus on the closest person to the camera); is that the same idea for manual focusing as well?
    Yes. Depending on the shot, you may need to do this with manual focusing. You'd have to have something in just the right spot for AF to work. If it's that critical, I'd really choose manual focus by first focusing on the closest person and then turning the focusing ring to focus just slightly farther than that point. Or truthfully, I'd just leave my focus on the first person...

Just me and my camera

thanks another view.

Thread Information