Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: flex/arc body

flex/arc body

Hiya everyone.
    Hasselblad's flex and arc bodies look very appealing as tilt/shift capable landscape cameras without the the bulk and slower film loading as 4x5. Any users around here who can share their experiences?

Re: flex/arc body

No experience with that, but you could always get a 4x5 and a 120 back. That way you could use MF film and not have to deal with sheet film, but still have the option to use it if you ever wanted to. Plus used 'Blad stuff is probably more expensive than LF in a lot of cases.

can i get tilt/shift function from field cameras that can use a 120 back?

As far as I know, practically all field cameras have good shift/tilt capability. And besides, if you get a 4x5 with a rollfilm back, then the leap to large format is but a small step away. Now, the lenses are expensive, but even the used lenses are less than Hasselblad used lenses. I would say that with a 4x5 you would have more options in terms of lenses, capabilities, backs, films, etc. The flex body is medium format is only hasselblad. No 4x5 option, you can do polaroids, but not the fun kind (boy would I love to get my hands on some 55 right now ). The Hasselbald is a good medium format camera, not a large format one. I might just go for the large format and have the option of upgrading, so to speak. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

I don't know much about the 'Blad but I think it's probably along the lines of the Fuji GX680 which has a little bit of movement to it. These types of cameras have nowhere near the flexibility of a real large format camera, even a field camera (the ones that fold up and have a flat base).

You'd be farther ahead in terms of adjustments with a field camera, and still have a very portable system (aside from the other benefits). With a view camera (the kind mounted on a rail, usually used in studios and for architecture) you'd have even more adjustment although you might not need it.

the main advantage of the flex and arc is the low weight
    The body with lens is definately less than 3lbs!
    I have held the fuji in my hand before and I find its so heavy that it made my arm tired while playing with it at the store.
    Can you recommend some LF cameras I might look at that have the tilt and shift?
    Most lighter cameras I see have the tilt, but not the shift

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    the main advantage of the flex and arc is the low weight
    The body with lens is definately less than 3lbs!
    I have held the fuji in my hand before and I find its so heavy that it made my arm tired while playing with it at the store.
    Can you recommend some LF cameras I might look at that have the tilt and shift?
    Most lighter cameras I see have the tilt, but not the shift
    Just a few names, but not an exhaustive list: Shen Hao (I know, Chinese make, but they have a good reputation, and are inexpensive as far as LF goes ), Wista, and Toyo (specifically the 45CF, carbon fiber, light weight, plenty of movements). As for used, I can't really recommend much, as Graphics don't have many movements, and the rest are mostly view/monorail cameras. You still might take a look. Good luck on your search.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thread Information