Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Fitting a old Minolta lenses on a Nikon D50?

So I have some on Minolta len's from a X-7A SLR I was hoping I could use them on my Nikon D50 with some kind of adapter.

I'm sure you will need some info about the lenses but being a photography noob I'm not sure what to give you sooo...

One lens says Minolta MD 50mm 1:17 Japan 49mm

The other says Magnicon Multi-Coated Auto Zoom Maco 1:3:9 f=70-210mm 58 No.85100597

If you need anymore info please ask, Any help will be helpful.

Thanks!

Re: Fitting a old Minolta lenses on a Nikon D50?

The old manual focus Minolts lenses have an SR-mount (commonly labelled as MC or MD). The adapters are available (search ebay for "adapter nikon md). I will leave the usability question to the Nikonites. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

You can with a $$$ adapter, but it may only be a full manual lens and may not have Auto Stop down.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but It's simply not worth it. Because of the registration distance, you will not be able to focus the Minolta lenses for anything except close-ups if you could even find a reasonably priced adapter for it.

In addition, you will lose all exposure automation, and of course, be stuck with manual focusing, but the Nikon D50's meter won't work at all.

FYI, the Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 is worth something like $15-20 on ebay, and the no-name 70-210 zoom lens is worth less than it costs to ship it. The adapter alone would cost more than these lenses are worth, and the functionality with the adapter would be extremely limited. If I were you, I'd sell the 50mm lens either on ebay or at a garage sale. It's a very good lens, but because it works only with old, manual focus film cameras, it has very little value. And the 70-210mm zoom lens is effectively worthless.

I agree - possible, but not worth it. It will physically mount but won't do much. You're the one that will have to decide when the lens is in focus (no autofocus, and no "dot" to light up when it's in focus). Also, I'd doubt that the camera would open and close the aperture. Open it up all the way, set everything up and decide what aperture you're going to use and then turn the ring to that number and shoot - usually the camera would do it for you. And I wouldn't be surprised if the light meter in the camera didn't work with this adapter, meaning you'd have to guess at exposure.

So, like I said, possible but not worth the agony...

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Not worth the money. If you want to use old manual focus lenses, find some Nikkor AI or AI-s lenses.

Keep the minolta lenses with your X-7a (it's a good camera, I used one for a couple years before switching to Nikon)
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information