Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Tips for newbie in Central America?

Hello,

Does anyone have any tips on shots to try, what we should look at researching/asking about in class, or lenses we should look at to get the best shots in Central America?

My wife and I are both newbies to photography and are trying to figure out how to become 'good' photographers. We are heading to Central America for one month and have been reading user guides and internet help pages, etc... but wanted to ask for any other words of wisdom. We know there is so much to learn and sometimes it is tough to know where to start.

Our setup:

Canon Rebel XT (8.0MP)
    18-55mm kit lense
    70-300mm (Sigma)

Re: Tips for newbie in Central America?

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are equipped fairly well already. I would suggest making sure you have plenty of memory and batteries with you for a long trip like that. Have fun and good shooting, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Practice, experiment with different settings and practice some more.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Ask a local the direction the sun moves through the sky. Edit: Also watch your shadows every heavily wooded area I have shot tends to have a "personality" comprised disproportionately of shadows. I am assuming contact with a jungle.

Wink Re: Tips for newbie in Central America?

Practise shooting in areas of bright highlights and heavy shadow. That is the most difficult type of lighting in which to shoot. You may have to go into the menu and set the contrast switch lower to help compensate. If you have a choice, try to shoot in the early morning, before 10:00am and in the late afternoon, a few hours before sunset. You can get a chart of sunrise & sunset times on the internet, just google for it. Mid day light is very harsh and causes a high contrast situation, try to not use it, if possible, unless you are looking for more drama in your photos. for instance in shooting buildings, pyramids, etc.

Get a 2X neutral density filter to help cut light in bright light and use low ISA speeds as much as possible, 100 or 200 would be good. If you decide to try a ND filter, you can ask on here for more info on using it. There are also other strengths of ND filters as well as graduated ones. I don't want to overwhelm you with too much info at this point so recommend using KISS method.

Just remember, you're trying to have fun, don't get uptight about it.
    Lots of luck and Good Light
    Michael

I agree strongly with the graduate filter and also a polarizing filter too. If you have intenet there try and post some pictures here in critique forums. I would find the subjects to shot and then return when I thought the lighting was going to be the best.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Depends on your level of experience, but the main thing is practice, practice, practice. Try going on a "vacation" near home and taking a bunch of pictures in a lot of different situations. Also, check out some of the lessons and how-tos under the Learn tab near the top right of this web page.

Talking Re: Tips for newbie in Central America?

Don't forget to take your User manual with you!! There is nothing more frustrating than being out in the middle of nowhere trying to remember how to get some special effect and not being able to figure it out. :mad2:

Have a look here as well: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

As well, have a great time on your trip -- Central America - WOW!!

Cheers,

WesternGuy

P. S. Edit after noting - my 200th post, wow has it been that long. Five hundred here I come.

Thread Information