Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Filters and Digital Photography

I'm just wondering what the general thoughts were with using filters when shooting digital. I know a lot of corrections/changes can be made in Photoshop but I prefer to get everything as close as possible during the shot. Mainly what I'm considering is some Cokin slot-in graduated ND filters. Is anyone else here shooting digital with these types of filters? Any ohter suggestions?

Dave

Re: Filters and Digital Photography

I really only use two filters (and not often) when shooting digital. They are a polarizer because the effect can't (or not easily) be replicated in Photoshop, and also a UV filter but only when there's a good chance that the front element on the lens will get wet or dirty. I don't normally use any filter - only when necessary.

ND grads work with digital just like they work with film. You can do a more controllable job in Photoshop though - shoot once for the shadows and once for the highlights and blend the two together. This way you can get a 1-1/2 stop or four stop or whatever difference you need, plus unlike using a filter the split between the two exposures doesn't have to be a straight line. Most of the time in the "real world" the split that you need from an ND grad isn't straight unless you're shooting a sunset over the ocean... Of course doing it in Photoshop takes a little time, but it's a trade off. Another problem with ND grad filters is getting the split placed exactly where you want it. Ever get a box of slides back and have the perfect shot except that the filter wasn't positioned quite right? I usually shot a few extras and moved the filter around slightly just to be sure, but it's frustrating (tip - stop down to the aperture you're shooting at using the DOF preview on the camera to place the filter, it helps a lot!).

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I'm just wondering what the general thoughts were with using filters when shooting digital. I know a lot of corrections/changes can be made in Photoshop but I prefer to get everything as close as possible during the shot. Mainly what I'm considering is some Cokin slot-in graduated ND filters. Is anyone else here shooting digital with these types of filters? Any ohter suggestions?

Dave
    The only filter digital actually needs is a polarizer. That can not be duplicated in any software.

Although you can do better with dynamic range compression in software, ND grad filters can be useful as well. I'd just buy the screw-in filters as you need them rather than investing in a system such as Cokin.

FWIW, getting it right "in-camera" is really no better than getting it right "in post processing." Make sure of the focus you want and the composition, the other things are easily manipulated any way you want in the computer. In-camera is a one shot deal, in-processing is try whatever you want.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I pretty much figured the response was going to be and I'm still unsure if I'm going to bother. The funny thing is I work with Photoshop almost every workday, and have for the past 18 years or so since the first version was released but there is something a litte more special about a photo that comes out just about perfect from the start and you had to be more creative to get it that way.
    - Dave

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Lol

Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I pretty much figured the response was going to be and I'm still unsure if I'm going to bother. The funny thing is I work with Photoshop almost every workday, and have for the past 18 years or so since the first version was released but there is something a litte more special about a photo that comes out just about perfect from the start and you had to be more creative to get it that way.
    - Dave
    So, for the last 18 years of using PhotoShop you have not been creative? :-)

Its a fine goal to work for creativity in-camera. But it is also creative to do the work in PS. Both the camera and the software are tools, its the final photograph that defines photography!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

The only filter I use on digital so far is a polariser. Sometimes I could do with a Grad ND but I work around that issue most of the time. One day I will buy them but no rush.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

there is something a litte more special about a photo that comes out just about perfect from the start
    It's always best to start with a file that's as close to how you want the final image to look as possible. A good clean capture will make your end result better. But - I think that the "straight out of the camera" arguement has a lot of faults, especially if everything's on auto, and then it's just a matter of luck. I don't sharpen in the camera, so all my stuff looks slightly soft out of the camera (DSLR anyway, not on the p&s). I have a lot more options for sharpening later and can get more of it without having too much by doing it in Photoshop later.

Thread Information