Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Just me and my camera

Question film in the freezer?

Hi All,
    I usually keep my extra film in my camera bag for months at a time, but I've heard you can also put it in the freezer to save it for a long time. Should I keep it in the freezer instead, is that better? at what point should I put my film in the freezer (if I don't use it for a few months? up to a year?) And when I take it out of the freezer, is there anything I need to do before using it (other than obviously defrosting it! )
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: film in the freezer?

First off...
    Way to go, by still shooting film!
    FILM ROCKS!
    If you know you aren't going to use the film anytime soon, I would put it in the freezer.
    Freezing it will help in making it last longer.
    When you take it out, take it out a few hours before you put it in the camera.
    Good Luck!
    And keep shooting film!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGirl
    Hi All,
    I usually keep my extra film in my camera bag for months at a time, but I've heard you can also put it in the freezer to save it for a long time. Should I keep it in the freezer instead, is that better? at what point should I put my film in the freezer (if I don't use it for a few months? up to a year?) And when I take it out of the freezer, is there anything I need to do before using it (other than obviously defrosting it! )
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    FILM OLD AS THE ROCKS!
    The temptation was too much...

In any case, I used to freeze all of my professional film in freezer bags. When you want to use them, let them defrost WITHOUT opening the freezer bags, for a few hours. Consumer film is designed for long periods of time at room temperature and don't really benefit from freezing.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Anyone still holding a stash of their favorite film in the freezer? I made the switch to digital earlier this year because my favorite film was out of production. However, I did find and freeze a stash of about 20 rolls of my beloved Agfa Ultra Color 100.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I still have a stash of film in my freezer. I stocked up on Velia 50 when I heard they were going to discontinue it. I can start shooting more of that now that they are brining it back! I also have a bunch of Tri-X from my short lived dark room days. I have a few rolls of Provia, Kodachrome 64 and some other odds and ends of film in the freezer as well.

I'm 99.9% digital now, but I still like playing with different types of film. There is nothing quite like viewing those slides on a light table.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Just me and my camera

First off...
    FILM ROCKS!
    FILM OLD AS THE ROCKS!
    LOL, yah for film!!

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Thread Information