Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Disney World fireworks tips

I am looking for any ideas or tips for shooting the fireworks at Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Suggestions for locations, f-stop to use, length of exposure, mm of lens and anything else you may have to offer me. The family including my two sons and their families will be going.

We will be staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort location and it is between Epcot and Typhoon Lagoon. I am trying to get as much information as I can get. I have been researching Disney World photos on the internet and have looked at hundreds of photos. You can post a reply here or send me an e-mail or PM. We will be there 5 nights and 4 days starting December 16th and leave December 21st. I am fascinated by Christmas lights and night time and available light is probably my favorite types of photography.

Any information no matter how small or big is welcome and if you know of any tutorials or websites that cover fireworks please give me a link. Thanks again and please take the time to reply and help me out, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Disney World fireworks tips

Depends on how many bursts you want in the frame. I used my 18-135mm and got good results. Look at my gallery on page 9. I got a few good ones. Watch for a minute to see where the majority of the bursts peak. I assume you'll have a tripod. If so then below...

For multiple bursts at a sporadic rate. I'd start off in Manual at f/8 at 8 secs, put the focus on manual infinity. I had my shots on ISO 100. Take a dark piece of paper with you. Wait until one starts it's ascent and hit the shutter release. Once the burst has reached it's peak put the black paper in front of the lens (be careful not to hit the camera). Just before the next one explodes move the paper. Wait until it peaks and repeat the process until the shutter closes. You may have to change the f/stop depending how close you are.

I had a blast experimenting. Their display's are always long so you'll have plenty of time to perfect it. Especially since you have several days.

I just googled firework shots and got what I needed.

Good luck and have a "blast"!
    The first step is BEING THERE to take it...

Thanks Dan for replying and the information. I do plan on having my tripod with me to use for the fireworks. I will be setting up in one place and not moving and do not want to lug around any more than I have to. If I wanted to shoot video with one camera and stills with another would it be feasible to make a bracket so both cameras could be on the same tripod. Once they were set up I would use my remotes to activate each camera. I do not plan on moving them once the fireworks start. Is this a bad idea to try or does it sound like something that could work? Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Hi Jeff,

I wish I could help, but I'm not a "fireworks" photographer - so I did a bit of research on a lark - and came up with some (time consuming) reading for you.

How to shoot firework photos at Disney World using your DSLR

More links you might be interested in. I never knew such webites existed!

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...w=1396&bih=767

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I wish I could help, but I'm not a "fireworks" photographer - so I did a bit of research on a lark - and came up with some (time consuming) reading for you.

How to shoot firework photos at Disney World using your DSLR

More links you might be interested in. I never knew such webites existed!

how to photography fireworks at Disneyworld - Google Search

Liz
    Thanks Liz, I checked them out, Jeff

Thread Information