Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question dirt on inside of lens?

there is dirt on the inside of my lens its not on the front of the lens or the back its looks like its on the part that zooms back and forth on the front.

i was at my grandpas funeral and it was outside and the wind was blowing dirt.

my dad bought some canned air so he can try blowing the dirt out of the lens.

i wanted to ask how we should use it and if this stuff is any good.

there is not dirt/dust on the photos just on the lens i just don't want to mess up my camera.

its perfect data perfect duster it says it can be used on cameras does anyone know how this will work and if it will hurt my lens ???

i hope we can get the dirt/dust off.

i have a canon xsi with the 18-55mm lens.

Thanks!

Madeline
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by maddy; 04-12-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Re: dirt on inside of lens?

Quote Originally Posted by maddy
    there is dirt on the inside of my lens its not on the front of the lens or the back its looks like its on the part that zooms back and forth on the front.

i was at my grandpas funeral and it was outside and the wind was blowing dirt.

my dad bought some canned air so he can try blowing the dirt out of the lens.

i wanted to ask how we should use it and if this stuff is any good.

there is not dirt/dust on the photos just on the lens i just don't want to mess up my camera.

its perfect data perfect duster it says it can be used on cameras does anyone know how this will work and if it will hurt my lens ???

i hope we can get the dirt/dust off.

i have i canon xsi with the 18-55mm lens.

Thanks!

Madeline
    Don't use canned air. It or the propellant can be potentially harmful.

If it doesn't show on the photos, then there is no real reason to worry about it.

I would second gryphonslair99 - don't use any form of canned air on a lens. The propellant can condense on the lens, or its elements, and give you more problems than the dust itself. As he says, if it doesn't show on the photos then don't worry about it. If you see dust on your images, then check the sensor. I get dust on my lenses all the time (not inside mind you) and I never see it in my final images as if I do see dust on the image, it is usually sensor dust and can be cloned out of the image using Photoshop Elements or any other decent image editing program, and it disappears if I clean the sensor.

WesternGuy

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Like the others have said, stay away from the canned air. If you are not seeing the dirt in the final image, leave it alone. I have lots of dust inside of one of my zoom lenses. I took it to a repair shop and asked them about having it cleaned. They told me they could do it, but didn't recommend it because it's not going to improve the quality of the photos. The lens will focus past the dust/dirt inside of the lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

when i zoom in and out my dad can hear the dirt.

how do we get that out?

Thanks

Madeline

GB1

It's sadly not uncommon to get dust inside lenses. I've had one taken apart and cleaned by a professional fellow. I have several others that also have dust inside that I have not yet gotten cleaned. The good news is that there is no apparent visual degradation on the images.

So if you really want it out, probably safest to take to a photo store and have them do it. Disassembling a lens, cleaning it and properly putting it back together isn't an easy thing to do!
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

does anyone know how much canon would charge to clean the lens and maybe clean the camera??

--------------------------
    Madeline

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Is your kit lens the IS version? My guess is that it will cost more to clean the lens than what it's worth. Not sure about the camera. If you want to clean the sensor, you can do that yourself. It's not that hard but some people are very scared of doing it so I understand if you don't want to tackle it yourself. A couple of blast of air from a good rocket blower usually does the trick on most sensor dust.

If you do send it in to Canon, they will contact you with a price of the repair before they do anything with it. If you decide not to go ahead with the repair, they will ship your stuff back to you and all you are out is the cost of shipping.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by maddy
    does anyone know how much canon would charge to clean the lens and maybe clean the camera??

--------------------------
    Madeline
    Call Canon Irvine CA and ask them. They can give you a general idea. It was $128.00 when my 24-70 f2.8L threw a motor focusing ring for the ring replacement, cleaning and calibration. That was a couple of years ago or so.

my camera and lens is going to canon to get cleaned.
    they said that they don't do cleaning in Canon Irvine CA anymore.
    so i had to send it to the place in Virginia.

so ill have it back in like two weeks.

I got it back today.
    they said :
    For the Camera
    EOS REBEL XSI (BLACK)

Service details
    Your product has been examined and dust particles were found in the
    Imaging Sensor Assembly and focus screen. The Imaging Sensor
    Assembly was cleaned, the focus screen was replaced and product
    functions were confirmed. Other electrical adjustment, inspection and
    cleaning and parts replacements were carried out. Thank You.

And for the lens
    EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS

Service details
    Your product has been examined and found sand damage to the lens
    assembly. The lens assembly was replaced and product functions
    were confirmed. Other inspection and cleaning and parts replacements
    were carried out.

And the warranty was still good so they fixed it for free.
    so all it cost me was like 10.00 shipping to send it to them.

Thanks For All Your Guys Help

Madeline

Thread Information