Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Digital Picture frames?

I am looking at getting one for the GF for Xmas. Anyone have any feedback?
    Sick of Turkey Jimmy

Re: Digital Picture frames?

Jimmy-
    I didn't think this was off-topic at all. So I moved it to the Help Files forum. I think digital picture frames look like a cool gift and the prices have come down enough so that they're actually reasonable. At first they were ridiculous. I haven't ever really used one, although I have seen them in the stores and at the tradeshows. I'm also curious about what people who've really used them think.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ditto John, I always thought they were a rip for the price.

I have been thinking of getting one for my desk at work. I've tried prints in plastic photo stands but I can only fit 1 or 2 at a time on there.

I'm interested in hearing about them from some one who has used them.

Thanks.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

I'm interested in this as I was looking at buying one for parents. I have never even looked at them so doing research now. Trouble is I can't find any display systems to look at here.

Have noticed some need SD cards others accept many cards and some have internal memory and link up to PC's, so you need to be careful what you buy

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

We bought one for my parents last year for XMAS. That little thing was the hit of the holiday season. People would stand around watching the slide show for an hour (through multiple repeats). I don't remember what brand we bought, but it had avi, mp3 and most major image file playback.

I bought a 1 gig SD card and loaded it up with family photos and it was good to go.

I was looking at them this morning for a present for my grandmother. There are a ton more options this year with resolutions ranging from 720x480 to 320x240 or so. I think the one we bought was 480 x 320 and it seemed pretty good from what it was. I'd like to see one of the newer higher resolution models though.

mbb

I have been doing a little research on them as gift for my wife this Christmas. I think it would be a great way for her to show off the grand kids at the office. I've found there is a wide range of prices. I'd be very interested in what others are looking at and in what price range.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Just Lurking

I bought one of these for my wife last year for her birthday and she loves it. I'm probably like a lot of people here and have many shots of the kids and family at the various events that happen throughout the year. Simple shots on the fridge don't really cover too much and this makes it easy to have lots of pictures where people can see them. She has hers in the kitchen and like mattbikeboy said, people stand around looking at them for a long time.

It has been such a hit that we're buying one for each of the Grandmothers this year and loading them with pictures of all the grandchildren.

PC

Looks like this is a product/market that's ready to hit the big-time -- I've been eying them, as well. When the one with the right features appears, I'll probably get two or three.
    -Pam :idea:
    "There is more to life than increasing its speed. -- Mahatma Gandhi"

I picked one up last night from costco for $ 130.00. I will let you know how she likes it. The other night she asks if I can burn a disc of Justin, I laugh and tell her they won't all fit on one cd. She got most of what I have shot this year on a rw dvd disc. I was really questioned why she can't see the RAW files from one folder I gave her, LOL.
    Jimmy

Cool Re: Digital Picture frames?

I have an 8" one on my desk at work right now. I also bought 2 for gifts this year... the gifts are 7" Kodak ones with a decent resolution. I paid $75/shipped for each one from TigerDirect.com. I also bought a 1 gig SD card for for an extra $25/each. So, each gift will hold hundreds of photos (thousands compressed) for only $100 each. Not bad.

The one I personally have is an 8" Westinghouse (DPF-0802) and it rocks. It's a higher rez model, 800x600 and looks pretty nice. If you get up close, it doesn't look as nice, but it's meant to sit at one end of your desk and gazed upon at a distance. I paid $149 for it from Kohl's department store. However, I'm bummed that this higher end one didn't have a remote like the cheaper models... but it it's favor it DOES have a mosaic mode, where the others don't offer that option. All in all, it's totally worth the money.

Here is a video clip for you to check out. Keep in mind that the resolution of the frame is MUCH MUCH MUCH better in person than in this crappy compressed video clip. In this video, the whites are blown out and the blues appear darker than in real life. This video is just to give you a general idea of what the frame looks like on a desk as well as how the mosaic mode works. I hope this helps. Enojy.

Last edited by PhotoDad17; 12-11-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Thread Information