• 03-22-2004, 10:38 PM
    trevor_little
    digilux 2 for photojournalism?
    Alright guys, I am pretty attached to my fm3a and all its fully manual controls and what not, but i am sorta being forced into switching to this new digital deal for photojournalism next fall. I went and tried out the d-100, 10d, rebel and d-70 today and i wasn't overly impressed with ay of them. If i were to choose one now it would be the 10d, just because it felt the best.
    Anyways, I have been looking at the Leica Digilux 2, but i havent been able toget my hands on it to test it out. Has anyone here tried it, and what are your thoughts on using it in the field of journalism, everyday stuff, of course not sports or anything requiring telephoto etc. I mean, its equiv. 28-90 covers most focal lengths i care for (wish it was slightly wider but....) ideas?
    thanks - Trevor
  • 03-22-2004, 10:41 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_little
    Alright guys, I am pretty attached to my fm3a and all its fully manual controls and what not, but i am sorta being forced into switching to this new digital deal for photojournalism next fall. I went and tried out the d-100, 10d, rebel and d-70 today and i wasn't overly impressed with ay of them. If i were to choose one now it would be the 10d, just because it felt the best.
    Anyways, I have been looking at the Leica Digilux 2, but i havent been able toget my hands on it to test it out. Has anyone here tried it, and what are your thoughts on using it in the field of journalism, everyday stuff, of course not sports or anything requiring telephoto etc. I mean, its equiv. 28-90 covers most focal lengths i care for (wish it was slightly wider but....) ideas?
    thanks - Trevor

I suggest you check out the review in progress at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

It's a fancy point and shoot, the 10D is a serious work camera. Why were you "unimpressed?" Many pros all over are using the 10D with phenomenal results, as well as the D100, what do you know that they don't?
  • 03-23-2004, 10:20 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Strengths and weaknesses...
    As a shooter who currently uses a 10D and has previously owned and used a Digilux1 (the D2 is very similar), I feel I know both of these cameras pretty well...

A honest comparison between the two without knowing your intended use is not at all fair, as it is a classic case of apples and oranges.

Ah, but we DO know your intended use, and although for general commercial or artistic shooting I'd put my money on the 10D every time, when it comes to photojournalism or candid street shooting, the Digilux2 may very well be better suited to your needs...

The D2 has several important features that may make it ideal for what you're talking about. To start with, relatively large resolution (5 megapixel) with a large sensor combined with Leica glass means image quality will not be an issue. Yet, the camera itself is quite compact, making it easy to stash and carry around, as well as quick to get ready and use.

The zoom lens is a 28-90mm (film camera equivelent), an excellent all around range for many shooting situations. The shutter delay is very short, meaning the camera will be nicely responsive in action, and the LCD screen is one of the largest and brightest available, certainly an asset in the field.

Leica purposely touts this model as a photojournalism camera for the reasons I just gave, and while a hard core pro news shooter will always use a SLR system (lens selection, ruggedness, accessories, battery capacity, etc.), the D2 may actually work out much better for you...

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_little
    thanks - Trevor