Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Difference Between Canon Cameras

Hi,

I did more research and I've narrowed it down to the Nikon N80 or the Canon Elan-7. But I found out that Canon also has an Elan-7E. What is the difference between the two canons? From what I can tell, the speed range is a little different, but what does that mean?
    Thanks.

The only difference between the ELan 7 and the 7E is that the 7E has eye-controlled focus. Basically, you select the focus bracket by looking at it. Unless you have glasses, in which case it doesn't work. There are a few people who use it successfully, but overall I think it's considered to be one of those pseudo-gimmicks that works occassionally, but not always...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Mamiya Man
    I use the elan 7e. It works well for me and once using a camera with eye control focus you have a hard time using a camera that don't have it because you get spoiled. The key is to read the instructions and calibrate it correctly it should work ok especially since there is only 7 focusing points. no need to select one focus point or let the camera automatically pick the one closest. With the eye control you just look at the focus point and the camera will focus on it like magic so if you are shooting sports or a party and things change quickly you can just look at what you want to shoot and it will come into focus. The biggest problem with some of the eos cameras, the elan not being an exception is focusing in low light. If you get a canon speed light or another dedicated light the flash will use the infared and focus for you so it's always good to get a flash because the built in one sucks

Magoo

Thread Information