Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Developing my own 35mm color film.

Hi..
    I already make my search on Google and ask.com and beside getting a huge list of labs I didn't got the info I'm looking for.
    I want to know the steps to develop my own 35mm color film. Already have the timer,thermometer, developing tank and a little closet/dark room on hold. I just need the liquids and info of what I need to do.
    Anyone here have any experience developing color film.
    I want to know whats the deal with temperature, times, ect.
    Thanks.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Re: Developing my own 35mm color film.

Check this site out. I think the temps have to be maintained within 1 degree...
    http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-Color-Film
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Check this site out. I think the temps have to be maintained within 1 degree...
    http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-Color-Film
    Greg
    Thanks a lot Greg...
    That link was really help full. Looks like the harder task is to keep the sink water runing at 100f for 10 minutes.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

There are ways to do it - but it involves yet more equipment... From what I've heard the biggest challenge will be to get the chemistry itself. I knew a couple people who did it in the past but gave up because of this. Apparently they had to buy huge quantities of the chemistry unlike years ago when they could get the small amounts that an individual would use.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    There are ways to do it - but it involves yet more equipment... From what I've heard the biggest challenge will be to get the chemistry itself. I knew a couple people who did it in the past but gave up because of this. Apparently they had to buy huge quantities of the chemistry unlike years ago when they could get the small amounts that an individual would use.
    That will no be a problem around here, having B&H and Adorama withing walking distance I can get the liquid in small amounts.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

you have to have a VERY controlled environment to process color film yourself. VERY. Not like b&w which allows you to have some variance in temps, procedures, etc.

Personally, and based on my own experience, it's not worth it. It's better to pay a lab to process your color film. A good lab will have much more consistent results and consistency is much more critical with color than it is with black and white. I encourage people to process their own black and white film. But I wouldn't encourage anyone to process their own color. Find a big lab with a dip-and-dunk processor and let them do it. You'll never be able to do as good of a job - no matter how much equipment you buy and how careful you are.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

It might be a long shot but maybe you could find someone that already has a lab set up and they would let you use their lab. Some of our Middle schools have dark rooms and the kids learn to develope B&W film. I am real good friends with one of the Tech teachers and I thought about asking could I use the darkroom on weekends. I work in the Tech department and already have the keys to get in.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think I going to take John's advice and I just going to use what I have to play developing B&W and since I already have few really nice Nikon lenses I'm going to buy a used D70s or D100 body.
    Thanks a lot for all your inputs on this matter, it rally helped me.
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Thread Information