Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Depth of Field

Depth of Field

I have this camera Kodak cx7300
    How do I take a picture that has a depth of field in it using this camera?

Re: Depth of Field

Depth of Field refers to the area in a photograph that's in focus. Shallow depth of field would be just a small area of distance (from the camera) that's in focus - maybe just a few inches or less, and everything closer or farther from the camera is out of focus. It's almost impossible to get a shot like this with a compact digital camera due to the physics of how optics work.

OTOH, compact digitals are very good at images with a lot of depth of field. If you want everything in focus from people who are 6' from the camera to mountains on the horizon, it's usually pretty easy to do. Lens aperture is what controls this; a wider aperture (smaller f number like f1.4, f2.0, etc) creates a shallow depth of field and a smaller aperture (higher f number like f11, f16) creates the opposite.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Depth of Field

Quote Originally Posted by DirgePortgaz
    I have this camera Kodak cx7300
    How do I take a picture that has a depth of field in it using this camera?
    The real (not "equivalent") focal length of P&S lenses is very small making the depth of field very large at any aperture. To get good control over DOF you need a DSLR.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thread Information