Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

dented filter ring

yeah, I dropped my nikon 50mm f/1.8 off a mountain the other day, and dented the filter ring (tough lens!). Is there a easy way to fix this or do i have to replace the lens?
    thanks,
    Trevor

Oh and does anyone know off any good camera stores in the banff - Clagary, Alberta area?

I'm not sure - but - I'd probably replace it if I was going to use filters with it (of course, it may also be hard to put a lens cap on it too). The reason I'd replace it is that you could get a new one at B&H for about $100 - any repair would likely cost that much but you could call 1-800-NIKON-US to see what they say. Plus, you could probably sell the lens as-is on ebay for half that!

There's a camera shop on Banff Ave. and one at the shopping center at Lake Louise (has a bit more if I remember). Stuff is expensive and you won't find pro hard goods...just generic filters and accessories and items of that nature. Bring lots of film unless you're a digital sort, then bring lots of whatever they bring. It is an awe inspiring place!

yeah, well i'm living in banff now so i guess i just gotta stick with internet orders. I sorta messed around with the lens and I smashed the center of a cheap filter out and managed to pernamently attach it to the lens. Should hold up for now,
    Thanks all,
    Trevor

Thread Information