Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Ing

Curious-Ghostly object in photo

I took this photo with a Sony 5 MB Cybershot. Just a quick shoot. There appears to be a white ghostly shape on the wall (middle of photos) where a black cylinder shaped nylon hard fabric case was hanging on the wall by a hook (to the right of the rollable poster). Since everything else is in reasonable focus and the object didn't move, I can't believe it's motion. But nothing on the case is reflective so I can't believe that it was a whiteout reflection since there is not even a hint of the object itself. We're all getting a little spooked.

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curious-Ghostly object in photo-dsc01949.jpg  

Re: Curious-Ghostly object in photo

This close to Halloween strange objects start to look like ghosts... Actually it probably is a reflection of some sort. It could be flare on the lens which reflects off the lens glass so that would be why you didn't see it on the wall when you took the shot - it was never there. Large windows and directional light from the fluorescent fixtures in the ceiling can cause this too. Doesn't happen often but when everything lines up just right, it can. A lens hood would help eliminate this.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Flash reflection I think.

Look at the wall on the left, it looks like it's flash lit as the light falls off rapidly.
    I think it's form the first picture on that wall.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Ya know, I think you're right. I saw it was lit with flash but didn't think about our friend the laws of physics (angle of incidence = angle of reflection) and the first picture on the left might be the culprit...

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

what happened the cylindrical black case though?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

No idea, This image isn't high enough resolution to see much.
    I can see what look like 4 hooks to the right of the poster, which one was the bag alledgedly hanging on?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Ing

Thanks for the replies. I could only upload so large a photo, but the original is high res.
    I think you're all right. From just asking around, it seems that the reflection can do this. I uploaded 4 more photos I took today and repeated the ghosting effect, but at least the bag is there. It just seemed too weird and yes being so close to Halloween, and Friday 13th, sparked the strangeness to it all. Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curious-Ghostly object in photo-dsc01951.jpg   Curious-Ghostly object in photo-dsc01952.jpg   Curious-Ghostly object in photo-dsc01953.jpg   Curious-Ghostly object in photo-dsc01954.jpg  

Thread Information