Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

cs2 strips exif data

I am trying to find the setting to leave the exif data on my files when saved as .....

the exif data is stripped for some reason when i save a file after editing.

any help is greatly appreciated as always :thumbsup:

thanks
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Re: cs2 strips exif data

I know what you mean. It seems like you can edit and save once, with no repercussions, but anymore than that, it's gone. BTW, I use Elements.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I have the same problem using Fireworks MX.

GIMP, MSPaint, and the Vista Editor dont strip them, the newest version of Photmatix leaves what it can. (what you bracket will be blank)
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I've been trying to reproduce your results in Photoshop Wyatt, and can't get it to NOT save the exif for the life of me. Assuming that you're not using the "Save for Web" command, the only thing I can think of that may be different is that I attach a history log to the exif data in each file. Maybe that causes PS to save the exif data automatically.

- Joe U.

Ben,

What format are you saving it into - some formats don't support Exif.

My CS2 saves EXIF in PSD, JPEG, and TIFF - the only formats that I really use. It has done this out of the box ever since I installed it.

Formats like BMP, GIF do not support EXIF.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I appreciate the responses to this -

I am trying to get it to stay in JPEG. And I do not use the save for web - I do a save as ...
    Ben

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP

I am trying to get it to stay in JPEG. And I do not use the save for web - I do a save as ...
    Is the EXIF there in before you start editing the document - the reason I ask is that I sometimes use Canon's RAW editor which gives a nicer image at high ISO than CS2 raw conversion. That has can strip the EXIF.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

yes the exif is there -

I have used nikon capture 4 and it doesn't strip the exif - only cs2 will

I was told there is a setting for it somewhere - i searched all over to find nothing - so I am asking the gurus here
    Ben

yes the exif is there -

I have used nikon capture 4 and it doesn't strip the exif - only cs2 will

I was told there is a setting for it somewhere - i searched all over to find nothing - so I am asking the gurus here

I couldn't find anything either - so don't know how to help, Open for the real experts

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Perhaps the problem is you are doing "save as" which means it saves the image as a new file. If you are doing this to preserve the original file, try copying the file to the new destination first, then open it, work on it, and just "save" it instead of doing a "save as." I'm at work so I can't test it myself, but if someone else has a chance it's worth a shot.

I was hoping you were on to something Canuck - but nope - still strips it
    Ben

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Darn! I was hoping that was the ticket, but I guess not.. Hmmm...

This is a know issue and seems to be random. I've even experienced it myself but since I no longer use PS I never researched a solution.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Lightbulb Re: cs2 strips exif data

This is a solution, albeit potentially bulky.

There is an (almost-freeware) program available called Exifer. You can use Exifer for a ton of useful exif things (such as changing dates if you haven't set your camera correctly). But, I use it to get around this kind of problem with edits.

You can backup exif data with exifer, make your edit, and then reload the exif data. It may be slightly incorrect, depending on your edits, but it's better than none. And you can manually change fields too if you want to make it correct. You can also regenerate the thumbnail.

http://www.exifer.friedemann.info

(And a little note for those who read this post, but don't use PhotoShop..)
    For those of us who can't afford PhotoShop, but want a robust editor that doesn't strip EXIF data (which, unfortunately, a lot of cheap programs--and apparently some expensive ones--MAY do), there is the Gimp, which is super-powerful and maintains EXIF data.

Barrette

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Have you checked your CS2 configuration settings? CS2 should not be stripping data unless you're saving for the web, so its likely that you have an option set somewhere when you go to save that tells it to discard the EXIF data.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Have you checked your CS2 configuration settings? CS2 should not be stripping data unless you're saving for the web, so its likely that you have an option set somewhere when you go to save that tells it to discard the EXIF data.
    Its been doing this since install - I just decided to finally do some searching and see if i can find anything on it. Was hoping someone here would know what the deal is.

Where do I find the configuration settings ?

Thanks for all the replies and attempts at helping !
    Ben

Thread Information