Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Cropping question

When you guys crop a picture for final editing and possible printing are you using a standard crop? (5*7, 8*10 etc). I havent printed alot of stuff but I mostly use free crop and then I have to recrop for printing if I go that route. Should I be cropping for possible printing on all my keepers?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Cropping question

I say crop to what works best for the image. I have a vertical pano that I created that I print at something like 36x15.75. I have it printed on 36x24 paper and trim off the excess. I don't feel the need to stick to the standard sizes for printing. That being said, most of my prints are done at standard sizes because I try to do my cropping "in camera".

I find the exception to this rule is when doing portraits. I try to remember to leave extra space around the subject for cropping later because most people are going to order a 5x7 or an 8x10. If you have shoot too tight, and they want an 8x10, something is going to get lost.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I keep what I want and get rid of what I don't with no thought to format. I have had 'old timers' notice this yet they always say it doesn't matter when questioned. I get the impression that they certainly notice it, but cannot figure out if it has a negative impact. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Crop for the subject you want people to see. If you decide to print later, go back to the original and crop/resize to make the print the best.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by yetishot
    When you guys crop a picture for final editing and possible printing are you using a standard crop? (5*7, 8*10 etc). I havent printed alot of stuff but I mostly use free crop and then I have to recrop for printing if I go that route. Should I be cropping for possible printing on all my keepers?
    The standard sizes for printing are 4 x 5, 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 by 10, and 11 x 14. I stopped at 11 x 14 size but just look at any art supply store under precut mats and you will see the sizes. As I print, cut mats, and make frames I don't have go by any standard size. 4 x 5, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, and 11 x 14 happen to be cut film sizes and the contact prints were the standard for a long time so that is how the standard print sizes came about.

I would use photoshop to crop. 1 - load the image and turn on the rulers. 2 - from the ruler information adjust the DPI making sure the resample box is not checked. 3 - Create a new image file with the DPI from step 2 at the standard size. 4 - select all the original image copy and paste into the new image file. 5 - use the move tool the adjust the crop. 6 - save the PSD file or flaten the file to your favorite file format.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I base my crop on two criteria, the photo and the end user. Certain shots don't fit the norm, such as a panorama. That I crop for the shot. I usually frame it as well.

Things like portraits I usually crop for the end user, be it me, or someone else. That usually means one of the standard print sizes and unless it is for me, I let whom ever frame it. Using standard sizes makes it easier for the end user to frame up if it is in a standard size.

Smile Re: Cropping question

I find that more and more, I am cropping to fit an image size ( 5x7, 8x10, etc.), but I always save the uncropped original, so that if I need to go back and get a different crop, I can still do that. I crop to an image size, because usually that is where I am going to a 5x7, etc. frameable print. I just got too frustrated doing "free" crops and then finding that, when I went to print a specific size , the print was cropped by the printing process to fit the paper and image size I needed for framing and teh results were not always as favourable as I wanted them to be. By cropping to fit a given print size initially, I feel that I have more control over the final image and what I want, or don't want, in it. HTH. :thumbsup:

WesternGuy

GB1

First, always keep the original for latest additional crops for different sized prints.

I tend to do basic editing, but with no sharpening, and save it at full size and name it the original name + "_Edit1" with a small amt of compression, say 3%, so that it isn't as big. Then I make different crops and sizes from that.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Lightroom is nice that it does the job of saving the original for you. And you can make virtual copies to try out several versions. I usually crop to a print size, but unless I'm planning to actually print in a specific size, I just use whichever one works best to emphasize my subject.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/