Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

cropping question

I took perhaps my favorite picture of my kids, almost by complete accident. As such, the framing is not perfect. I have it printed in 8x10 and various other sizes, but the 8x10 crop chops off some of thier arms.

Here it is: (8x10 crop and converted to sepia)

So, my question is, I can crop the thing to any size I want? I have been using the pre-set crops of 8x10, 4x6, 5x7, etc. If I crop it to a "custom size" and I preserve thier arms, and print it at 8x10, what happens when I send it to be printed? Does it get distorted somehow? I dont want it to squish the sides in or lop off more of the top and bottom. Im a bit fuzzy on how cropping works at the printers.

Tim
    Whoever said a photograph is worth a thousand words has never heard me !%$&%$@!# at my pictures!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: cropping question

Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    If I crop it to a "custom size" and I preserve thier arms, and print it at 8x10, what happens when I send it to be printed? Does it get distorted somehow? I dont want it to squish the sides in or lop off more of the top and bottom.
    This is a good pic, Tim. First of all I think the 8x10 crop looks fine. You trimmed just a smidgeon off her arm. Hardly a "chop"...

But, if you prefer what's called a full frame image, what I would do would be create the file so the longest side would fit into the 8x10. IOW, make the longest side 10", then the short side would be narrower than 8" (with white space on each side).

You probably should mention it to your printer, but this should then print fine without losing any of the image...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Was this taken with an SLR? If it was, then usually full frame would be 8x12. You could either print it at 8x12 or something like 6.67 x 10 for full frame.

For the smaller size, start by making the image to 10" wide and whatever full frame works out to for the height. Then, make a border around it by increasing the Canvas Size to 8x10 in Photoshop. Make the border white so it doesn't use any ink (black would be a waste of ink of you're doing it on an inkjet). That way the printer will make an 8x10 print with your image at the size you need and a border at the top and bottom (or just the top, or bottom - depends on how you want it). You can trim off the border, but this way you have an 8x10 image size and you know what you'll get from the printer.

I would crop it the size it looks good to you. Go to a good photo store which caters to Pro Photographers they should be able to get your non-standard crop printed per you instructions. Cutting a mat is not hard but you do need some mat cutting tools. Most Art and craft stores have mat cutting kits for under $50.00 and mat board (cheaper at a Art Supply store) and you can always have the store cut the mat for you.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

When you convert a file to different size, you always lose something. It is nature due to the ratio problem. For example, the ratio of a 5x7 on length and height is 1:1.4, the ratio of a 8x10 on length and height is 1:1.25. To avoid cropping, always leave enough room on sides is your best choice.
    Mike Young
    Union & Brothers
    We Build Best Photo die cutters
    www.unionbrothers.net
    www.unionandbrothers.com

Thread Information