Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Copy Stand for Canon EOS 30D

Hi Everyone,

I have a coin collection that I want to start cataloging. I want to use my Canon digital cam with a Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro lens to do the work. I've been looking to find copy stand to pair with the camera that's not too expensive.

I've found a listing for a stand by Digital Pursuits. I was trying to find specs on the stand to see how much weight it would hold. What kind of cameras it would hold but could not locate that information.

Here is a link to one website that sells the stand:
    http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...-dpcs1812.html

Does anyone know or have any info on this copy stand?

Thanks!!!

Re: Copy Stand for Canon EOS 30D

Usually copy stands are attached to the camera's tripod socket, so any camera can be used. I couldn't tell for sure on this one, so you may want to contact them to be sure. They might be able to send you a copy of the owner's manual as a .PDF file.

Re: Copy Stand for Canon EOS 30D

Before spending $60 on the stand posted, I would take a look at a good camera store if you have one locally. Not a box store but a mom and pop place that also deals in used equipment.

For $15 I picked up a great Minolta enlarger that had a broken head on it. The stand for the enlarger had a taller arm, bigger copy plate in size and thickness. The mounting stud for the enlarger head was a 1/4 X 20 screw (same as a tripod socket) and it was a counter balanced geared column. Making focusing adjustments was easy in macro mode with the geared column.

The thicker copy plate was nice as it was thick enough to attach 4 copy light brackets onto it and they proved great light. Dark rooms are dying and dark room equipment is very cheap these days. On the geared head I attached a $15 Manfrotto RC2 quick release bracket and it takes 2 seconds to attach the camera to the copy stand. I probably don't have more than $60 invested in the thing and it is easily 4 times the stand of the one posted.

Thread Information