Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Contax T2 viewfinder help

Hey,
    I'm really interested in 35mm compact cameras at the moment and have recently bought a Contax T2. Im really enjoying the results of it so far but finding it really hard to get used to the viewfinder compared to my DSLR and another camera I use, the Yashica T4.
    My problem is that the viewfinder has a 'crop' area which really puts me off my composition. My other cameras are much like a 'what you see is what you get' kind of viewfinder. I don't have horizontal or vertical lines on the Contax T2 to help with framing, only four corners which I am finding really hard to get used to!
    If this is normal, excuse me and ill try my best to get used to this new format but please share with me anyone's experiences from switching!
    Thank you!
    John

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Contax T2 viewfinder help

I loved that camera! The lens is super sharp and that titanium body is a gem.

It sounds like you're using the parallax correction lines for general composition. The parallax correction is required when a subject is close to the camera. All non-SLR cameras do this since the viewfinder can never be in-line with the shooting lens.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Hey, thanks for your reply but I understand that there are two sets of lines, one for general composition and the smaller ones for close ups.

Im just trying to get used to the viewfinder as its got quite a wide angle when I look through and used to seeing four 'sides' not four 'corners' if that makes sense?

Its as is I have to visually imagine the sides based on the corners, and seeing a gap where the frame would cut off distracts me slightly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodgerson
    Im just trying to get used to the viewfinder as its got quite a wide angle when I look through and used to seeing four 'sides' not four 'corners' if that makes sense?
    Yeah it makes sense. You'll get used to it. It is actually quite nice in that you can see things coming into the frame before they are in your frame. Makes a terrific street camera.

I sold my T2 when I bought the Contax TVS. I always regretted selling the T2 so I never sold my TVS - I still have it. I've made some nice 16x20's with both cameras.

See my website HERE.

Thanks, Yeah I suppose its good having the view of things coming in to the frame, just takes a bit of getting used to!

Question - Can you remember why the first f stop on the lens is coloured green? It says this is program mode but what does that mean? Thanks.

If memory serves me correct, if you keep the aperture ring on the green f/2.8 AND the focus ring set on the green AF, then you enter PROGRAM AE/AF.

You can test it by opening the back and looking through the lens as you shoot it in various directions. You should see the aperture stop down as you point at brighter objects.

See my website HERE.

Ok so that means that f/2.8 will use auto exposure but any aperture smaller than that wont auto exposure?

At any other aperture, you get aperture-priority AE.

Set it to f/5.6 and you get f/5.6 no matter what. The camera sets the shutter speed.

See my website HERE.

So what does PROGRAM AE/AF mean? Auto exposure and auto focus at f/2.8? Isnt that the same as f/5.6 auto exposure?

Again going on memory, I believe that when you have it at the f/2.8 setting it stays on f/2.8 (like aperture priority) until light levels allow shutter speeds to reach a certain speed. Beyond that, both the aperture and shutter speed changes.

Again, easy enough to confirm without wasting any film by looking through the open back of the camera.

See my website HERE.

Thread Information