Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Just me and my camera

Question condensation question

hi everyone,
    I was taking pictures today and my last picture I took, I was in my garage with the garage door open and it was a bit windy and cold (typical winter weather!), then I went inside. Once inside, I realized maybe I should've placed my camera in a bag to prevent condensation--my questions are: how cold and long do you have to be in that environment to put your camera in a bag to prevent condensation? (I wasn't in the garage long, maybe a minute); do you think I should be concerned about my photos/camera? thanks.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: condensation question

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGirl
    hi everyone,
    I was taking pictures today and my last picture I took, I was in my garage with the garage door open and it was a bit windy and cold (typical winter weather!), then I went inside. Once inside, I realized maybe I should've placed my camera in a bag to prevent condensation--my questions are: how cold and long do you have to be in that environment to put your camera in a bag to prevent condensation? (I wasn't in the garage long, maybe a minute); do you think I should be concerned about my photos/camera? thanks.
    Condensation depends upon the humidity, temperature, and dew point. There is no one number or one amount of time.

If you don't see condensation you are pretty much safe. Many times, I'll change temperatures and/or humidities without protection based on 30+ years of a "gut feeling." In general, be careful but not fanatical! A long time in the cold, use a baggie. Some time in an extremely humid environment (like a Butterfly Pavillion, use a baggie). Otherwise, don't sweat it too much.

Not as helpful as you were looking for!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I don't think you'll have any problem - I've done things much worse than this and been ok.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I don't think you'll have any problem - I've done things much worse than this and been ok.
    Yes, I have never used a baggie and I have gone out into minus 40 and into buildings and then out again with no problems. I have even had condensation frozen on my camera lens and viewfinder with no lasting effects or problems.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Just me and my camera

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Yes, I have never used a baggie and I have gone out into minus 40 and into buildings and then out again with no problems. I have even had condensation frozen on my camera lens and viewfinder with no lasting effects or problems.

Ronnoco
    Wow, really? That's really interesting. thanks for the insight, Ronnoco.

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've all been very helpful.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Aren't I lucky living in Australia where we don't have such extremes in temperature (not in my neck of the woods anyway)...
    Condensation was a big problem when I was tripping around Indochina in '04 and '05..Sitting in an airconditioned car then stepping outside into 35degC heat with 90% humidity my camera looked like it had spent the last few hours under a shower...My Canon 350D never missed a beat even in these extreme conditions..The trick is to allow your camera to adjust to the condition changes...Don't go wiping the condensation off your camera/lenses...It could take 15 minutes to dry..
    Don't be too concerned about condensation damaging your gear,,your gear is tougher than you think..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Just me and my camera

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    Don't be too concerned about condensation damaging your gear,,your gear is tougher than you think..

Jurgen
    very good point, Jurgen.

Thread Information