Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Color Problems

Color Problems

Hello,
    I'm shooting with a Nikon D70, pictures that I take right after one another seem to have very different coloring. Samples attached below. Could anyone tell me why this is happening? Thanks!

Both pictures were shot in auto mode with the following:
    1/90s, f4.8, no flash, wb auto, metering pattern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color Problems-baxter-rose-185.jpg   Color Problems-baxter-rose-188.jpg  

Re: Color Problems

If you have your white balance in auto it might be switching from cloudy to sunny day. Try manually setting the white balance.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg,

I thought it might be a white balance issue. In addition or even as an alternative would it help if I used spot metering instead of pattern metering? I tend to forget to change the WB as often as I need to.

Thanks for the help!

It don't look like an exposure problem. My Olympus will do the same as here on a overcast day. If you shot in RAW format it's an easy fix in post processing.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    If you have your white balance in auto it might be switching from cloudy to sunny day.
    But if that was the problem, then perhaps it's time to send in your camera for fixing. Auto white balance functioning properly shouldn't be doing that.

I use a D70 jest set the camera to take RAW + JPG. That way it your have autowhite balance hunting you can easily fix it. But it eats your storage!!!! And you can have a JPG for quick snap shot printing and RAW for that 8 by 10 print you just must print.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks, If I remember correctly the last time it was a problem I think it might have been an overcast day also, so maybe I'll shot in raw for a while til I determine if its the camera or just the day, I didn't realize that it is easier to fix the wb in raw, that is helpful! I've been driving my self crazy trying to fix the jpeg files and wondering what the trick is. Also could you clarify, does the metering have anything to do with determining the white balance if it's not set manually? Thanks again!

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

AWB shouldnt be changing that much...I don't believe AWB cycles through presets, but makes a guesstimate on color temp? I could be wrong though, please correct me if I am...

Thread Information