Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Cold weather - is condensation really an issue?

Thus far, I haven't taken my pristine DSLR out in the cold weather yet. I've been reading a lot, and almost everywhere I see issues about condensation.

I need to know how cautious I need to be about this. Example. If I take a walk to a train station, say 15 minutes outside in cold weather, then get on a warm train for an hour, is that an issue? (assume camera is in a bag). What if camera sits in the trunk of a car for an hour? 10 minutes?

Then, if I'm out in the cold and bring it back inside after maybe an hour of shooting in the cold, can I just put it back in my trusty camera bag and leave it in there to warm up in the house, or do I need to take the camera/lenses and put them in plastic bags, then let them warm up in the house?

So many questions, my apologies. I just don't know where to draw the line on being careful.

Re: Cold weather - is condensation really an issue?

It really depends on how cold it is outside, but Philly probably has similar temperatures to where I'm from, near Chicago. Here's what I'd do:

Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    If I take a walk to a train station, say 15 minutes outside in cold weather, then get on a warm train for an hour, is that an issue? (assume camera is in a bag). What if camera sits in the trunk of a car for an hour? 10 minutes?
    I wouldn't really worry about any of these situations if it's say 20 degrees or more. I'd probably put a lens cap on before I went into the warm place though. The camera will feel cold but I haven't had any problems by doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    Then, if I'm out in the cold and bring it back inside after maybe an hour of shooting in the cold, can I just put it back in my trusty camera bag and leave it in there to warm up in the house, or do I need to take the camera/lenses and put them in plastic bags, then let them warm up in the house?
    Again, it depends on the temperature but being out in the cold shooting for an hour is a little different. I'd probably carry the bag outside and let it get cold too - plus it's handy to carry all the stuff! ;) When you're ready to go in (but still outside), put all the gear away and close the camera bag. Then let the closed bag warm up for a couple of hours or so before opening it. Leave out your memory cards and/or film if you need them right away.

I've had the front element of the lens fog a few times but really had no problems with my lenses. You can get the dreaded fungus if you do it too much (not just in cold either) but it hasn't happened to me yet. But, the colder it is the more careful I am.

If they are in thr cold tempratures long enough to get cold then yes you do need to bag them and let them warm up a bit. If you must walk from through the cold to get to a warm place to shoot i recomend wrapping the camera and lens in a towel and putting in in the camera bag, asuming it will fit. That way it should get you to where you are going without the camera turning into an ice cube.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I do always have my camera bag with me while shooting, I often need too many things to convince myself to leave it behind.

Does putting the camera in my Lowepro Nova 4 AW count as bagging it, or does it need jumbo zip-lock style treatment?

If it's really cold, like you've been shoot outside for an hour in a blizzard I would use the zip lock, better safe than sorry. If it's not quite as cold then I would do as AV suggested with the camera bag.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Lowe Pro bags are pretty well sealed when zipped up - even without the AW cover. I've never used a ziploc inside of one of these bags, but it can't hurt. I think I'd probably use the ziploc and then leave the camera out of the bag because it will warm up faster. The only harm in it warming up faster is that the condensation will be more of a problem - which is why it's in the ziploc, to keep the condensation on the outside of the bag - so no problem there.

I usually use a Domke bag that doesn't zip up (flap over the top and two buckles to hold it down) and no ziploc bags. When it's really cold (below zero F) I'll usually use a Lowe Pro bag though.

It also heavily depends on the humidity of the location.

When it's rainy and 10degrees C in Vancouver, I almost always get condensation on my glasses when I step on the bus.

However, I step into the hotel after walking around in -10 degrees C Toronto and I get no condensation.

I always keep my camera in a ziploc with drypacks all the time regardless of the weather. It couldnt hurt right?

Speaking of those dry packs, how often do you need to get new ones? I'd imagine they go bad over time right??

Thanks for the help with this issue as well. I think I'll be happy with my camera/gear in my bag, except if I'm outside for a really long time. Then I'll put it in a plastic bag and let it warm up that way.

I keep all the drypacks I obtain in a ziplock bag.
    Unless they contact some moisture, they not gonna go bad.
    I have absolutely no idea how long they last. But seeing that I have about 30 drypacks right now, I think I can afford to change them every couple months

oh plus I have an all metal camera and lens, so that may play a role in condensation.
    Plastic doesnt seem to get as cold...and even if they do, will warm up much quicker than a full metel camera (and lens) would

Thread Information