Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Just me and my camera

Question cold weather:camera question

After I finish using my camera in cold weather, I know I wrap it in a ziploc bag and leave it in my camera bag until it warms up (to avoid condensation), but I've been reading conflicting methods on how to do this. Do I put the camera and the lens (still attached) in one ziploc bag, or do I unattach the lens and put that in one bag and the body of the camera in another ziploc bag to warm up. thanks.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Re: cold weather:camera question

Either way is fine. Actually, taking the lens off may make it warm up a little faster because you have two small pieces instead of one big piece. To tell you the truth, I've never gone to that extreme. I just put it back in my camera bag and make sure it's zipped up before I go into a heated area. Big camera bags will take a lot longer to warm up because of the mass, so the ziploc bag method will be much faster.

Just me and my camera

thanks another view, you've been very helpful (as always)

how long should I wait before I can use the camera again and not worry about condensation?
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGirl
    how long should I wait before I can use the camera again and not worry about condensation?
    Make sure the bag is sealed, bring it inside and set it on a table or the counter. In about an hour it should be fine, probably less. It can be cool to the touch, but not cold.

Do you wear glasses? If so, you may have come inside after being out for awhile and had your glasses fog up for a few minutes. That's exactly what you're trying to avoid because a camera can trap moisture which will lead to problems. It takes longer for the camera or lens to warm up because there's more mass to them.

I have shot down to 40 below with film and 20 below with digital and as yet have not had a condensation problem and I do not use ziploc bags. I just keep by camera in a camera bag ready to shoot. Since the camera bags are somewhat insulated, it warms up slowly when I get back to the cabin anyway.

The only problem I ever had was with a film camera when it got so cold that the shutter was slowing down considerably but that was below minus 40 fahrenheit.

Ronnoco

Just me and my camera

thanks for the helpful replies.

I have never had a problem with condensation with either film or digital, except when it was freezing outside took some photos came inside and immediately tried to take photos of a very attractive lady in fish net stockings - my glasses steamed up (camera was fine). I never use zip bags just my camera bag.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    The only problem I ever had was with a film camera when it got so cold that the shutter was slowing down considerably but that was below minus 40 fahrenheit.
    Not to nitpick.. but -40 F is equal to -40 C

Sorry Ronocco.. just being silly.

I have also wondered about this living up here in Canada but the few times I have shot out doors during the winter I have done as Another View suggested and left my camera and lenses in teh bag to warm up upon returning inside. But I think I will add a few ziploc freezer bags to my gear just in case I need it to be ready a wee bit faster than and hour or so.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedon
    Not to nitpick.. but -40 F is equal to -40 C

Sorry Ronocco.. just being silly..
    No problem! You are right. I have still not made the transition to Celcius. :blush2:

Ronnoco

Thread Information