Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question cleaning internals, w/ canned air duster?

can the internals of the camera (D100 ccd) be cleaned with "canned air dusters" used to clean computer hardware??

Not a good idea to use "Canned air", better off getting a good bulb blower and using that, if it is a real issue, get it done professionally and take care of your camera.

In a word: NO!

Don't do it, that stuff uses a propellant that may leave some gunk on the sensor. Get a blower bulb, it's much safer. This is the one I've got: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=259157&is=REG or you could go to your local drug store and ask if they carry rectal syringes. It's basically the same thing, I think that Giotto came out with theirs so that pharmicists wouldn't start wondering about digital photographers...

No, Never, Nada, Nope,

Don't do it. Couple reasons.

The pressure is too great and can cause damage. Also, the propellant can leave a residue. So cold can cause moisture condensation; not good.

Use a baby aspirator that is used to clean out baby noses.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree with the above replies. The use of a blower bulb makes sense. Also the force of canned air is pretty strong and might damage the more delicate parts such as the mirror.

I have a question of my own. I use the canned air on my darkroom to blow away dust on my negatives right before placing them in the enlarger. Works pretty well. However it doesn't seem to leave residue of any kind on the negative. I use a product designed for this purpose I think made by Beseler who manuf. enlargers. Am I getting some residue I'm not aware of. I occasionally user the bulbs when the cans run out in the middle of a session. Just the cans seem to have at least 2 or 3 times the force which works better.

More moisture than residue

I guess more than residue it's moisture which can attract dust. The air from the cans is so cold during prolonged use that sometimes it leaves some of the propellent as condensation on whatever I'm blowing. That is what makes it seem like a residue.

If you are using one in a darkroom made for the purpose, I'm sure you are fine.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information