Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Choosing a lens

Choosing a lens

Hello!
    I'm back again to ask for some more guidance before I take pictures at a wedding in a couple of weeks. Just a reminder, I am a complete amateur. The bride and groom asked me to do this because I'm the only person they know that uses a film SLR, so they seem to think that means I'm a pro. I'm just starting to learn the technical aspects of photography. I still don't even fully understand f-stops, focal length, etc... YIKES! :blush2:

I want to try to buy a new lens before the wedding, and I was hoping for some confirmation on the research that I've been doing. The wedding will be shot indoors, with very little light. I would like to be as mobile as possible so that I can (hopefully) get interesting shots from various angles during the ceremony. I started taking pictures with my uncle's old Canon and a 50mm lens (primarily shots of the mountains and the dogs during camping trips) so that's what I'm used to. I just bought a Nikon N80 with a Tamron 28/200 lens, which I'm still trying to get used to. From what I've read, I think I should be looking for something like a 28/70, 18/70, or perhaps even a 50mm that I can use with my new camera? Does this seem about right?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Re: Choosing a lens

Nikon's 18-70 is a DX lens so it's designed only for use with digital SLR's. I have a Tokina 28-80 f2.8 ATX-PRO which is a really good lens. I bought it used for less than half the price of a new one so it was a bargain too. Tokina has at least three versions of this lens and this one is the best they made. Another good one is the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 which is physically a lot smaller and the price for a new one is quite a bit lower. The Tamron hasn't been out as long so there probably aren't as many used ones on the market. Off the top of my head, the Tokina is about $550 new vs. $250 for my used one, and the Tamron is about $350. Nikon has an excellent 28-70 f2.8 but it's around $1300.

I'd look at lenses like this because f2.8 is the fastest zoom you'll find. In some situations it might not be fast enough, and adding a 50 f1.8 ($100 range) would probably come in handy - that's 1-1/3 stops faster but a zoom has a lot of advantages when you're working quickly.

For starters, do you have a flash for your camera? If yes, then a zoom lens would be okay. I would still try to get a f/2.8 or a f/3.5-5.6 at the least if you have flash.

Otherwise, get a 50mm f/1.8 it's super cheap and provides great optics. This will allow you to shoot from a normal perspective and shoot photos that you would "see" them.

Keep the camera on shutter priority to prevent camera shake, this is where the f/1.8 comes in handy.

Shoot naturally and just have fun...don't let the pressure worry you.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rlynn5
    Hello!
    I'm back again to ask for some more guidance before I take pictures at a wedding in a couple of weeks. Just a reminder, I am a complete amateur. The bride and groom asked me to do this because I'm the only person they know that uses a film SLR, so they seem to think that means I'm a pro. I'm just starting to learn the technical aspects of photography. I still don't even fully understand f-stops, focal length, etc... YIKES! :blush2:

I want to try to buy a new lens before the wedding, and I was hoping for some confirmation on the research that I've been doing. The wedding will be shot indoors, with very little light. I would like to be as mobile as possible so that I can (hopefully) get interesting shots from various angles during the ceremony. I started taking pictures with my uncle's old Canon and a 50mm lens (primarily shots of the mountains and the dogs during camping trips) so that's what I'm used to. I just bought a Nikon N80 with a Tamron 28/200 lens, which I'm still trying to get used to. From what I've read, I think I should be looking for something like a 28/70, 18/70, or perhaps even a 50mm that I can use with my new camera? Does this seem about right?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
    By all means if you can find a used 50mm F1.4, buy it. You will also need a 75mm lense. Indoors you need fast lense or fast film or both!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thank you all so much for your input! Your willingness to answer even the most basic photography questions with so much detail is a huge comfort to me right now!

I just came back from the shop where I purchased my camera and lens. They talked to me about red eye and how to cut down on it (something, I'm embarassed to say, I didn't think about). They showed me what they thought would be the ideal set-up, considering my ability and the fact that I'll be taking wedding pics in a low-light situation. I was hoping to get some feedback from someone that isn't trying to sell me stuff. Here's what they suggested:

Nikkon AFD lens, 28/105, f3.5-4.5, w/macro switch (which I was excited about, because I love close-up shots in nature). The lens is used, $225.00.

Nikkon SB 28 Flash, including cord so that I can use a flash bracket. The flash is used, $110.00. The flash bracket is new, $60.00.

I'm still concerned about the speed of the lens for the wedding. I may not get a chance to check out the lighting at the sight until the rehearsal dinner, and by then it will be too late to make adjustments to my equipment. The salesguy made it seem like with this set-up, I can basically put everything on program and point and shoot. I'm also concerned about how well I'll be able to control the set-up. I didn't handle the camera/bracket/flash set-up in the store, so I have no idea what it feels like. It just looks awkward.

Thank you again for any and all input you can give me!

The Nikon 28-105 lens is one of my favorite lenses that Nikon produces. It was my first lens when I got into photography 5 years ago.

If you are shooting print film, the lens should be okay. Shoot 400 speed film, and you can feel comfortable that the camera will pick at least 1/250 shutter speed at f/5.6 when shooting with a flash.

I think they selected a good all around lens.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

The SB28 is a very good flash and that's a fair price for it. They were over $300 new but don't have much functionality with DSLR's so they don't hold their value. Think I got about that much when I sold my backup SB28 on ebay several months ago.

The 28-105 was my first auto-focus lens and I do like it a lot. Unlike a lot of zoom lenses, it won't even flare (well, much) with the sun in the frame. Not that you'd be too likely to do that at a wedding, but... Seems like a good price as well. However, even on my F100 the AF couldn't see too well in dark receptions. Changing to a 50 f1.4 in those cases solved that problem, and since f2.8 isn't too much faster than this zoom I'd still think about getting either a 50 f1.8 or f1.4 in addition to that lens. I think it would be a decent alternative to the ones I listed but lens speed (referring to maximum aperture, not AF speed or anything else) is one thing where you sometimes can't have too much. It's not that you always use those very wide apertures, but seeing thru the viewfinder and autofocusing is so much easier.

Sounds like you've got a really good store to deal with; good advices and very fair prices. Make sure to support them!

Thank you so much! Your input here has been such a big help! I've decided to get the whole shebang...two lenses, flash and flash bracket (I'll be broke but atleast I'll be able to get some good pictures...hopefully). I think I will primarily use the 50mm lens at the wedding, just to be on the safe side (unless I get there and it's not as dark as everyone has told me). I just really want the 28/105 lens for when I go hiking. I'm so excited! I wish I'd gotten all this at the beginning of the summer!

Thanks again!

Hello , I am new at this so if I get it wrong let me know, could someone out there tell me if my Nikon AF Nikkor 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6D lens work with a digital SLR eg Fuji or Nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Hello , I am new at this so if I get it wrong let me know, could someone out there tell me if my Nikon AF Nikkor 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6D lens work with a digital SLR eg Fuji or Nikon.
    Looks like you did a reply in someone else's thread instead of starting your own.

Yes the 24-120 will work with a Fuji or Nikon DSLR. Because the digital sensor is smaller than film frame it will give you a view that is like 1.5 times the marked focal length in film terms i.e. it will be like a 36-180mm. A rather strange combination where you've lost the true wide-angle end.

I have a 24-85mm that I was very happy with in my film bodies. When I tried it on my DSLR bodies I was disappointed. It was OK but the designed-for-digital lenses like the 18-70 kit lens that came with my D70 is much sharper. If you're thinking of just buying a DSLR body and using your existing lenses then you're going to miss out on a great deal with the Nikon kit lenses.

Charles

Thank you for that Charles, you have been very helpful, (men always know these technical things) am looking at a D50 or a D70 for backup.
    Carol

Thread Information