Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Canon Rebel XT

Question Canon Rebel XT

I got a pretty good offer to buy one. But I was wondering..

I do live band photography, Would this be a good camera for that?

It's almost always pretty dark, and the people on stage are usually moving quite fast.

Also, would it be the lens or the camera itself that would make that decision?

Thanks a lot

Re: Canon Rebel XT

I'll make a blanket statement here and say that any DSLR will be much better than any p&s for this kind of work. I'm not a Canon guy so I can't get into specifics about that camera but it should be more than fine, as long as you use fast lenses (true of any DSLR) because of the situation. A great one to have would be a 50 f1.8 at well under $100 USD. Slow zooms in the f4 range (or slower) will be close to useless...

Re: Canon Rebel XT

I would think that it's a fast lens (f/2.8 f/1.8 f/1.4) what would do the real difference no mater what camera you get (Canon xt, xti, Nikon Ds, Sony A-100). I think that Nikons have better noise control and would allow to shoot at iso 3200 but I think that the lens that you use would be way more important.

Thread Information