Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Canon Elan 7

Canon Elan 7

Hey again!

So I'm going to order the Canon Elan 7 from beachcamera. It comes with some stuff but what I'm asking about is the Tamron 28-80.3.5-5.6 Aspherical F/ Canon Eos. I thought I read somewhere that only Canon lenses will work with the Elan 7. I'm hoping not because I couldn't afford most Canon lenses right away. So will the Tamron work with the Elan 7?

Cool

Other makers' lenses will work just fine.

Once in a while a third party maker's lens will work with older EOS cameras, but then have some compatibility issues (electronic) with a new model. This was especially the case for some of Sigma's lenses designed/made prior to the introduction of the Elan 7 in 2000. If you send the offending lens to Sigma they will update/replace the electronics to restore compatibility. See http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/pages/faqsb.htm#22

There have been some Canon ads that exploited this problem (along with Nikon issues with non-AI/AI/AF/AF-S/G/VR/DX lens and body limitations) and played up the fact that every Canon EF lens - w/ or w/o USM, w/ or w/o IS - ever made will function with every EOS body - 35mm, APS, and Digital - ever made. (The EF-S excluded of course ;) ).
    Last edited by Lemming51; 03-27-2004 at 07:35 AM.

alright thanks.

peccato,

Why not get a 50mm f/1.8 Canon lens and use that as you save up for more lenses. Getting a prime lens is a good idea, as it helps you learn to use the camera with a fixed focal length, you will get good light and also learn to use your head to frame and capture the image better. Then you will be able to see what lens lengths you might need. What type of photos are you looking at taking, you haven't mentioned that I think in your posts so far, well not that I have seen.

Buying the correct equipment is a hard decision I know been there done that myself.

I personally, now after 4 years since getting in to photography more than just happy snaping, realised that I didn't research enough about cameras and lenses and have learnt a lot during this time, mostly from forums like this. I don't think you will be satisified with the f/stops of the lens and low light situations. That is certainly what I found, I still have the kit lenses I bought with my Elan 7/EOS30 here, used them both about 3 times and then went out and purchased a 28-135IS lens, much better lens but still the f/stops at low light are a bit of an issue, although the IS compensates for that.

You really need to shoot some images with the lenses and see the difference if you can, take a series of shots inside the cameras store and have them printed first then make a decision from there.

I hope that helps you with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by peccato
    Hey again!

So I'm going to order the Canon Elan 7 from beachcamera. It comes with some stuff but what I'm asking about is the Tamron 28-80.3.5-5.6 Aspherical F/ Canon Eos. I thought I read somewhere that only Canon lenses will work with the Elan 7. I'm hoping not because I couldn't afford most Canon lenses right away. So will the Tamron work with the Elan 7?
    I have the Canon Elan 7 and am very happy with it. I have three lenses for it and all are Tamron. They are very good for the money. I would suggest getting the 28-75 2.8 LD. This is a really good zoom with a nice focal range. It has close focusing ability. This lens has got excellent reviews in the forum here. I also have the 19-35 wide angle zoom, and the 70-300 LD 1:2 macro. no problems with the tamron on my canon at all.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information