Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Canon 35mm SLR Body reccomendation

Hey all,

I'm currently shooting with a Canon Rebel SLR digital, and for my photography class we need a film camera since we will be working in the dark room. I was looking for a decent Canon EOS SLR body for a reasonable price, used is fine. After some reviews and whanot, I have considered the Canon EOS Elan7, it came out around, so I saw some used ones for decent prices. Any one have recommendations? I looked at the new Canons as well, and considered the newer Elan 7N.

I'm looking for comments or recommendations on the above cameras or any other model.

Thanks
    Byron

Re: Canon 35mm SLR Body reccomendation

Quote Originally Posted by Byron
    Hey all,

I'm currently shooting with a Canon Rebel SLR digital, and for my photography class we need a film camera since we will be working in the dark room. I was looking for a decent Canon EOS SLR body for a reasonable price, used is fine. After some reviews and whanot, I have considered the Canon EOS Elan7, it came out around, so I saw some used ones for decent prices. Any one have recommendations? I looked at the new Canons as well, and considered the newer Elan 7N.

I'm looking for comments or recommendations on the above cameras or any other model.

Thanks
    Byron
    Just curious what you've seen the Elan 7 for, I have one that has seen very little use and I have been wondering what I could get for it. I haven't done an E-bay search recently.

Jeff

I recommend either an EOS A2.

The A2 has many pro features, including a spot meter, 1/8000 of a sec top shutter speed and a higher flash sync speed. It's light, quiet and a really nice film body to use.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I just bought an Elan 7N on ebay and I LOVE IT! I got it with a kit lens for half the price of a new one and I'm thrilled with it and would highly recomend it to anyone looking for a nice EOS body. That being said, how much do you plan on using it? Is it just something you want to use for this class, and then you will be going back to digital? If so, I would save you $ and get a more entry level EOS body. If you plan on shooting a lot of film in the future, other than for your class, a higher end model might be worth looking into. Think about your future 35mm film needs, and whether or not you will be using it in the future, or sticking with digital.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Give me coffee, or give me death!

I have 2 Canon SLR's a Rebel 2000 and Elan7E. The Elan is great. Super fast shutter speeds, super quiet shutter action and rewind, eye-control focus. Add a battery pack and the extra weight helps balance with long lenses. I got my Elan 7E used on Ebay for $350 with battery pack and a bunch of film. Most the differences between the Elan 7 and 7N appear to be cosmetic. The 2000 is considered a lower-end model but it's a great value. Fast shutter speed, easy to learn because it doesn't have too many buttons, depth of field preview, a good all-around SLR. I've seen used Rebels for around $100. My only beef is that you can't use infrared film with newer cameras because of the IR sensor used for winding. That's where my Pentax 645 and my dad's A-1 come in handy.
    A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even thank her.

-W.C. Fields

Thread Information