Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Canon 17-40mm f4 and Filters

Hi,

I have just purchased the above mentioned lens, and am now looking to get a filter to protect the front element. I don't need any help regarding what type, just some pointers on what thickness of filter I can get away with without vignetting occuring.
    I know Hoya have an Ultra range that are 3mm thick, but lack a front thread. They also do a combined UV/CirPol, anyone have/used this??

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I use a Hoya UV filter... 15 bucks, works fine, no vingetting or anything.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I use a Hoya UV filter... 15 bucks, works fine, no vingetting or anything.
    Sean, Thanks for the reply, but......
    Hoya make more than 1 type of 77mm UV, without knowing which. I am back where I started.
    Does it have a thread on the front? i.e can another filter be screwed on top? How thick is it in mm.?

Cheers

Chris

yes there is a thread on the front. the glass is probably 1mm or less thick and the ring is probably 4mm.

yes there is a thread on the front. the glass is probably 1mm or less thick and the ring is probably 4mm.
    Sean, thanks for that. One final thing, are you using it on a film camera or a digital? I only realised this was of major importance after I had made the original post. So apologies due.

Chris

Digital Rebel =D

Digital Rebel =D
    Ahh.. That explains why you are not getting any vignetting.
    Unfortunately, I am using an EOS 3 so, we are not comparing like for like. The small size of the sensor in you camera is what is probably ensuring you get no vignetting. Hell, you could probably put a 3 deep Cokin setup on that baby and it would not vignette.
    Anyone out there using this lense with a film (god forbid) camera??

TJM
    Great Sage Equal of Heaven
    I think Hoya Pro-1 filters are about as thin as they come so id assume they wouldnt vignette, Hoya Ultra Thin filters might be the same thickness im not sure though. Pro-1 filters are pretty expensive though.

Liz

check out

www.2filters.com

They have lots of filter info on their website. They also have an 800 # that you can call with questions with no pressure to buy. They are knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

I have the Hoya SMC thin circular polarizer that I use with film. I don't use a polarizer with the Rebel - I get deep blue skies in mid-afternoon with the same lens you have on the Rebel with no filters.

BTW that lens is awesome. I love it - I've only had it about 3 weeks and it's always on my camera.

Good luck.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by chriskett
    Ahh.. That explains why you are not getting any vignetting.
    Unfortunately, I am using an EOS 3 so, we are not comparing like for like. The small size of the sensor in you camera is what is probably ensuring you get no vignetting. Hell, you could probably put a 3 deep Cokin setup on that baby and it would not vignette.
    Anyone out there using this lense with a film (god forbid) camera??

Thread Information