• 04-25-2004, 02:46 AM
    chriskett
    Canon 17-40mm f4 and Filters
    Hi,

I have just purchased the above mentioned lens, and am now looking to get a filter to protect the front element. I don't need any help regarding what type, just some pointers on what thickness of filter I can get away with without vignetting occuring.
    I know Hoya have an Ultra range that are 3mm thick, but lack a front thread. They also do a combined UV/CirPol, anyone have/used this??

Thanks in advance.

Chris
  • 04-25-2004, 07:14 AM
    Sean Dempsey
    I use a Hoya UV filter... 15 bucks, works fine, no vingetting or anything.
  • 04-25-2004, 12:54 PM
    chriskett
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I use a Hoya UV filter... 15 bucks, works fine, no vingetting or anything.

Sean, Thanks for the reply, but......
    Hoya make more than 1 type of 77mm UV, without knowing which. I am back where I started.
    Does it have a thread on the front? i.e can another filter be screwed on top? How thick is it in mm.?

Cheers

Chris
  • 04-25-2004, 01:06 PM
    Sean Dempsey
    yes there is a thread on the front. the glass is probably 1mm or less thick and the ring is probably 4mm.
  • 04-25-2004, 01:19 PM
    chriskett
    Quote:

yes there is a thread on the front. the glass is probably 1mm or less thick and the ring is probably 4mm.

Sean, thanks for that. One final thing, are you using it on a film camera or a digital? I only realised this was of major importance after I had made the original post. So apologies due.

Chris
  • 04-25-2004, 02:55 PM
    Sean Dempsey
    Digital Rebel =D
  • 04-26-2004, 08:17 AM
    chriskett
    Quote:

Digital Rebel =D

Ahh.. That explains why you are not getting any vignetting.
    Unfortunately, I am using an EOS 3 so, we are not comparing like for like. The small size of the sensor in you camera is what is probably ensuring you get no vignetting. Hell, you could probably put a 3 deep Cokin setup on that baby and it would not vignette.
    Anyone out there using this lense with a film (god forbid) camera??
  • 05-06-2004, 04:14 AM
    TJM
    I think Hoya Pro-1 filters are about as thin as they come so id assume they wouldnt vignette, Hoya Ultra Thin filters might be the same thickness im not sure though. Pro-1 filters are pretty expensive though.
  • 05-06-2004, 04:30 AM
    Liz
    check out
    www.2filters.com

They have lots of filter info on their website. They also have an 800 # that you can call with questions with no pressure to buy. They are knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

I have the Hoya SMC thin circular polarizer that I use with film. I don't use a polarizer with the Rebel - I get deep blue skies in mid-afternoon with the same lens you have on the Rebel with no filters.

BTW that lens is awesome. I love it - I've only had it about 3 weeks and it's always on my camera. :D

Good luck.

Liz

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskett
    Ahh.. That explains why you are not getting any vignetting.
    Unfortunately, I am using an EOS 3 so, we are not comparing like for like. The small size of the sensor in you camera is what is probably ensuring you get no vignetting. Hell, you could probably put a 3 deep Cokin setup on that baby and it would not vignette.
    Anyone out there using this lense with a film (god forbid) camera??