Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    It's hurricane season... again...

Canon 135mm or Sigma 105mm?

I know, I'm sounding a little obsessive... Now I can't decide which lens to get, and I guess the bottom line is, portrait or macro? Does anyone have an opinion on which one to choose, since I can only choose one? I enjoy taking portraits AND close-ups. I think that both are fine lenses. I'm just looking for more pros/cons from those of you that use them. Thanks!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    I don't think you really have to compromise. The 105mm is a great portrait lens. Normal portrait ranges are from about 85mm to 135mm.

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    I don't think you really have to compromise. The 105mm is a great portrait lens. Normal portrait ranges are from about 85mm to 135mm.

Danielle
    I second that.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks... I just put in a bid on the Sigma.
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

I would go with a macro lens.

Hi Kristen,

Like what everyone else has said, you have a macro lens that is also a very nice portrait lens and vice versa. Have you considered the Tamron 90mm macro? It's very sharp (so for portraits, you may want to use a soft filter) and the bokeh is very smooth. I'm not sure what camera you're using, but if you're using a digital SLR with a 1.6X crop, 90mm is a little bit more usable than 105mm. The tamron is a little bit more though. Good luck.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by ichiu
    Hi Kristen,

Like what everyone else has said, you have a macro lens that is also a very nice portrait lens and vice versa. Have you considered the Tamron 90mm macro? It's very sharp (so for portraits, you may want to use a soft filter) and the bokeh is very smooth. I'm not sure what camera you're using, but if you're using a digital SLR with a 1.6X crop, 90mm is a little bit more usable than 105mm. The tamron is a little bit more though. Good luck.

Ivan
    Thanks Ivan, I think I'm committed to the Sigma now... but I'm using a Rebel TI, so hopefully the crop won't be a problem? (I'm not really sure what that means... )
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Most digital camera sensors are smaller than a film frame - Canon's 1Ds (and maybe a Nikon model?) being an exception. Because the sensor is smaller you end up with a multiplication factor or "crop." The Digital Rebel and the 10D have MFs of 1.6. The new 1D Mark II has a MF of 1.3. You just multipy the MF by the focal length. So with a MF of 1.6 a 105mm lens becomes the equivalent of 163mm; with a MF of 1.3 it's ~136mm. I personally wouldn't worry about it though. Since you're using a film camera now you're fine, and digital sensors are constantly changing so you never know what will be available down the line.

Danielle

Thread Information