Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Camera cleaning equip.

Where can I buy a kit to clean my camera sesnor..ect.. I need a link. I have done some googling but the links have been dead ends.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Camera cleaning equip.

Here's what Adorama has to offer:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...leaning%20Kits

A lot of people here use B&H as well. I've had a DSLR for almost four years and have never really had to clean the sensor. I use a Giottos Rocket Air Blower to remove dust from it, but I've never actually touched the sensor with anything to clean it.

I don't know where I got this link from, but it explanis a lot how to clean a sensor, has links to where to buy the products, how to make your own, etc...
    http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

$279.95

How much would it cost to have it done?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    $279.95

How much would it cost to have it done?
    It depends on the shop. It's a buy beware thing, so call around and ASK.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I had my sensor cleaned at the local camera shop a week ago. They quoted me $50, but since I have an account there, it ended up costing $35. Good deal.
    John

It's easy to clean yourself. Camera "repair shops" aren't fool proof either. Read on..

I took a camera to a shop recently to have the sensor cleaned. I was told that it was a scratch, not dust. So, I decided to purchase a cleaning kit and give it a go, because I couldn't believe it was scratched. The spot wouldn't come off the sensor, and eventually I gave up and got another body. Yesterday, I was doing some research to see about getting it repaired, and came across an article similar. The person in that article let some fluid remian on the "scratch" for a little longer than normal, and when he dry swabbed it, the spot was gone. After reading that, I tried it, same exact thing. It wasn't scratched.

So, my point is that it isn't difficult to do, and if you have a shop do it for you, it can cost you way more. It's a gamble to a degree either way. The only positive is that now I have 2 bodies.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

There is a product available in Germany that I just saw used on the Tips from the Top Floor photography pod cast last week. I don't remember the name of it, but it was a water based substance that you spread over your sensor (the filter over the sensor that is) and let it dry. Once it's dry, you peal it off, and anything that was stuck to your sensor comes with it. It looks like it works pretty slick, but I would practice on something else before trying it on my camera.

I'm with Another View, I use a rocket blower. I have told other people, the rocket blower is the best $10 you can spend on photo gear. I use mine all the time, and not just on the sensor.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I have told other people, the rocket blower is the best $10 you can spend on photo gear. I use mine all the time, and not just on the sensor.
    Great for cleaning slides and negs before scanning - and evicting dust bunnies from inside your keyboard. Interesting idea the brush on cleaner (and leaving cleaner on to fix a scratch) but I don't know that I'd want to be one of the first ones to try it.

Between the blower and being as careful as I can (well, sort of) when changing lenses, I haven't had a need for anything else.

Sorry, I did word that in a confusing manner. There was no scratch, it was something sticking really hard. My point in mentioning that is because I spent $700 on a new body because a shop guy told me it was scratched. So, I don't trust them much either.

I find it odd that after several cleanings I wait a month, attempt to clean it (on a whim) and the spot comes right off.

Thanks for the help guys, today I went out and purchased a hurricane blower and it works very well! payn817, what kind of body had the supposed scratch? Do you know how this substance found its way to your sensor??

Thread Information