Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Which camera bag do you use & why?

I am curious which camera bag you use & why you chose it.

What are the most important features to you?
    Are there any features you wish your bag included?

--
    Cheers,
    Jennifer

Re: Which camera bag do you use & why?

I have several Billingham Hadleys of different shapes and colours because the Hadley is:

- Beautiful. It looks like a piece of clothing rather than a camera bag, with leather and brass
    - Compact. It fits close to the body and doesn't bother people in crowded public transportation
    - Secure. To get into it you have to undo a buckle and a button which is too complex for pickpockets
    - Waterproof. The top flap fits over the whole thing
    - Practical. It's a shoulderbag so I can get my gear out and put it away really quickly.It has lots of pockets for papers and stuff
    - Big enough for the D300+18-200+SB800 which is what I mostly need in cities. This is one reason why I don't want to go back to 24x36 - it wouldn't fit in the bag
    - Versatile. If I remove the padded lining it becomes a normal bag (I'm using it now to hold my computer)
    - Durable. I still have my first one which I bought almost 10 years ago

What I would like it to have: I wish they all had a handle on the top like the Hadley Pro. It's practical when squeezing my way into the car in a crowded car park
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I do have a couple of bags but half the time I use a Coleman insulated lunch bag.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I use LowePro the picture should explain why...

HTH
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

n8

I have a lowepro slingback 100. I like that I can whip it around as needed rather then stopping to take it off to access my camera. It's actually compact enough to fit in another backpack (which holds my laptop) rather then having to carry two backs (or get a new computer/camera bag). The only problem is that I've out grown the 100 model rather quick, and my d90+grip is a tight fit. Might be updating to the 200 or 300 models soon.

Jennifer, I have two LowePro bags. One is an old (really old) Photo Trekker that I used to carry around my gear while travelling in the hills of Western Canada. I also used it for travelling and just general everyday use. I have also used it for air travel, but it got a little bulky for that and a little heavy, over the years, for this old guy to carry on and off airplanes. I will say this though, this bag carried everything I needed and wanted including my flash and rode comfortably on my back as a backpack. It has been to Europe, the US and back and has performed admirably under all conditions.

Last year I bought a Lowe Pro Rolling Computrekker AW. It is a little smaller than the Photo Trekker, but it still holds my 5D with a 24-105 attached, my 100-400 IS L zoom telephoto, wide angle and macro lenses, plus it has some additional space for filters and memory cards and the like. What I like about it, is that it it has a retractable handle and wheels and rolls easily so it can be carrried onto an airplane (don't know now with the increased security), but it also has backpack straps that are normally tucked away, but can be "unfolded" from the back of the bag and it will then function as a pack. It also comes with a rain cover that goes over the whole bag and protects it from the elements. The only negative, is that I have to be a bit more selective about the equipment I take with me as it will not hold the same amount of equipment as the Photo Trekker, but at least it rolls and meets the requirements for carry-on luggage.

Both bags, allow for the attachment of a tripod.

I also have a LowePro Orion 1, fanny pack that doesn't get used much, but it is useful for the day trips to the bird sanctuary or the local zoo. Sometimes I use it when I go walking on the trails along the river with the 24-105 and a macro lens. It is light and meets my needs for these local day-trips, although the larger Trekker bag may be in the car trunk with more equipment in case I need it.

To complete this story, I should mention my wife has a P&S and has a nice small bag that carries the camera, some note paper and a few accessories - water bottle, batteries, memory cards, etc. She chose it and likes because it is light and carries easy on her back when we go for local photo-excursions.

In the long run, it boils down to what your individual needs are depending on the equipment you have (and wish to carry around) for the photography you wish to do. The Lowe bags are well made and fairly rugged, at least the ones I have are, but my suggestion would be to talk to others who have various products and have needs that are similar to yours. Visit your local camera store and get a feel for the size of the bag - they always look bigger in the store IMHO and then try and get a feel for what the bag would feel like full and whether it is something you want to carry around on one of your photo excursions. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    Last edited by WesternGuy; 01-21-2010 at 01:22 AM.

I have a Lowepro Vertex 300, the reason that I purchased this is cause it can fit everything including the kitchen sink. Is it big, YES, is it heave, Not really, can it carry everything that I own, YES. It's nice that it can carry a tripod or mono-pod attached on the side, all the memory cards are in an outside pocket.

Now when I go out and don't need everything, camera with lens and maybe an extra lens, I just take my Oakley Icon 3.0 backpack and just put a t-shirt at the bottom of a little padding.

I have walked around downtown Chicago with both of these setups and haven't had any problems. I also walked around New York City with the Oakley bag setup and that was great too.

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Domke F2. Big enough to get enough gear in and small enough to throw over your shoulder. It's also canvas which makes it lightweight and it's waterproof. It's the classic photojournalist bag.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Depends on what I'm planning on doing that day. I have a Lowepro Photo Trekker that fits everything. 3 bodies, several lenses, batteries, filters, flash and more crap that I care to mention. The bag gets very heavy, but hold everything I need and lots of stuff that I don't too! This it the bag I use when I'm going on a trip where I know I will want several lenses.

I also have a Lowepro Compact AW shoulder bag. This bag will hold a pretty decent amount of gear for when I don't want/need to lug 30+ pounds around. I really don't like shoulder bags but it does work.

I also have a Canon bag that came with the first SLR I bought. I still use it when I want to go really light. One body and one lens and some batteries.

I have a Lowepro TLZ AW bag that I bought several years ago. I don't use it much anymore but the reason I bought it was because of the chest harness it has. Works great when hiking with a backpack on your back.

Just yesterday I traded a coworker a print for his Lowepro Mini Trekker. Basically a much smaller version of my Photo Trekker. I plan on using this for when I want to go hiking but want to keep things light. I really hate hiking with a shoulder bag so I'm guessing this is going to get more use than the Compact AW bag.

I have been very happy with all of the Lowepro bags that I own. Built very tuff and the built in rain covers have come in very handy too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Not trying to steal the thread or anything.didnt think it was necessary to start a new thread when there is already one about bags. but what kind of bag do you guys recommend that is under or close to 100 bucks for hiking?
    The magic of photography is metaphysical. What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying. - Terence Donovan

Feel free to edit my photos, Just be kind enough to let me know what you did to it.

Sony A350
    Sony 18-70 3.5 - 5.6
    Minolta 50 1.7
    Minolta 70-210 4.5 - 5.64

Billingham Hadley Large

I hesitate to publish such an awful picture but it's an illustration of what you can do with the camera on a Smartphone. This ia me with my Billingham Hadley Large taken by a neigbour last night during a long wait at the station. I was thinking of Bob's picture with his MBK and LowePro bags ready to go off into the wilderness and I thought I could do the same in my context with my bag. But the only camera I had with me was my HTC Touch Diamond (the bag is full of computer gear).

I sometimes compare Smartphone cameras to Instamatics or throw-away film cameras but it's actually better. The exposure and colour is right, there is some camera shake because this is a long exposure by a non-professional with a camera weighing less than 100gms held at arms length. There's a lot of smearing of bright lights when the lens is wide open.

But it's much better than nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which camera bag do you use & why?-4295-16.jpg  
    Charles

Charles, That really is a sharp looking camera bag. Not too large and not too small.

I hope the OP is still out there. Jennifer having a few bags has served me well. It keeps me from carrying everything which is extremely heavy and unpleasant to lug around.
    These LowePro bags fit the bill for me. I mostly shoot outdoors when hiking, biking, and off road travel in a 4x4 so a bag that is rugged and can be attacked to backpacks, Mtn bike racks, around your waist, or over your shoulder is important to me. Where you plan to take your camera and gear will be a big deciding factor in your research.
    hth

When I want to travel lite:

General Shooting but still on the lite side and I am unsure of what I will find.

When I know my subjects will be a long way off.

When I want to carry most everything. This is a very heavy option and I don’t use it much.
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 01-24-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

Is your "heavy option" bag the Slingshot 300AW? Did you manage to put a monopod in it in your picture with the MBK?

I had the Slingshot 200AW for a while for use in towns. It was fine for holding camera gear but it didn't have enough space for keys, wallet, money, notebook & pen, etc. plus it ruffled by clothes. I gave it away when I realised that I could fit my DSLR in the Hadley that I used to use with my Leica.

On touristy holidays when I need to take a lot of gear (camera + 3 lenses + flash + guide books, passport, car hire papers etc. etc.) I use the Lowepro Mini Trekker. When I'm walking around all day visiting things I like to be able to remove my pullover or parka and stuff it in my bag. There's space in the front pocket of the Mini Trekker. It goes all bulgy and inelegant but nobody pays attention to tourists anyway.

Now the bit for Donovan. When I'm out trekking all day I need more space for clothes, water bottles, food, etc. and I take less gear. The best compromise I've found is the Lowpro Rover which fits nicely on the shoulders and even has a tripod holder (for a very small tripod). The latest versions have an all-weather hood but I just take along a plastic dustbin bag if I think its going to rain and put the bag inside with a couple of holes for the straps. I used to use the Rover in towns but I found that with it on my back it tended to knock things over in shops.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Is your "heavy option" bag the Slingshot 300AW? Did you manage to put a monopod in it in your picture with the MBK?
    Hi Charles,
    I am not sure of the model # it was a gift. I to, found it lacking in many ways.
    If you fill it with camera gear, it is way too heavy for a single shoulder strap and as you state, no room for additional cloths or food.

In the photo with me and the mtn bike I am using a
    camelbak day bag and have the LowePro camera bag attached to the shoulder straps.
    I find this works best for most of my outings.
    The camera bag counter balances the backpack and the camera is very easy to access.
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 01-24-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I purchased a Tenba Messenger bag (info HERE) last week. Despite already having too many bags and cases, I didn't have one which could carry a laptop. So far, I'm impressed by this bag. It is not much larger than a briefcase or large laptop carrier. But I can carry a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with a body attached, a 300mm f/4, a 24-105mm, 2x teleconverter, and a couple extension tubes - all while holding a thin laptop. I can now carry some photo gear to just about anywhere.

I figure the removable insert will allow me to replace the camera gear with a projector or other business materials when needed. There are too many pockets. Can't remember where I put things The shoulder strap is amazingly designed and built. The weight distribution makes the bag feel much lighter than it can actually weigh.

My main case is still my Lowepro Omni Trekker which can be seen in this thread:

A Gadget Bag Question

Don't know if they still make this though. Ironically, when out shooting my main subjects, I never carry a bag at all. I only use my bags to carry the equipment in my vehicle. I hike with what I can carry on my tripod/monopod and in my pockets.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information