Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Braun hobby 23bc

Hey all. I was given this flash by my step father the other day, my D3000 will make it fire but anything I do with it just turns out way over exposed, basically a white screen. Am just wondering how to work it or set it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Braun hobby 23bc-flash-001_800x536.shkl.jpg   Braun hobby 23bc-flash-002_800x536.shkl.jpg  
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nikon D3000, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G, 50mm f/1.8D, 55-200mm ED VR

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Braun hobby 23bc

Either go to manual mode and set the aperture yourself for the flash to subject distance.

Or it looks like it has a sensor for you to set the ISO and aperture you're using on the flash and it automatically exposes out to 13 feet.

You may get better results using full power (not in the green automatic setting) and setting up the camera exposure to match the flash.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Either go to manual mode and set the aperture yourself for the flash to subject distance.

Or it looks like it has a sensor for you to set the ISO and aperture you're using on the flash and it automatically exposes out to 13 feet.

You may get better results using full power (not in the green automatic setting) and setting up the camera exposure to match the flash.
    Thats where I am lost, theres the dial on the back but I'm not sure how to use it to mach the camera settings
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    Nikon D3000, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G, 50mm f/1.8D, 55-200mm ED VR

Wow does this bring back memories. Oh how far we have come.

Manual flash.
    Look the dial over a bit.
    You will start to see the outer dial is the subject to camera distance in feet.
    The next dial is a cameras aperture (f-stop) This is the number you are trying to find out so you can manually set the lens.
    The inter dial is ASA or film speed, we now call it ISO.

So you twitter the dials for camera distance to subject
    and what ASA/ISO you have the camera set to and it will tell you the aperture (f-stop) to set the camera at.
    Shutter speed is always 1/60

That's the basics.
    Back in the day when we used film, you did not have instant feedback like now we had to take tons of notes and 1 week later when you got your prints you got to see the results.

thanks for the memories

HTH
    Last edited by Singletracklovr; 04-04-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Thread Information