Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Blind Zooming?

Blind Zooming?

I thoroughly enjoy photography and am looking to buy either a Canon 30D or a Nikon D80. Now, I am used to shooting with non-interchangeable lens, basic cameras which all have live preview features. (as do all point and shoots)

My question is a bit odd and I feel I should know the answer but here goes: Most dslr's do not have "livepreview" save for a few models I am not too interested in. What I am asking is if I will be able to zoom in and out with my lens and see the effects somehow on the LCD? not full livepreview but maybe a button I can press to see if I like the look of how I zoomed in on something? I of course don't think it possible to do this through the viewfinder but if I could that would be fine. I just don't want to have to guess how the shot will look when I zoom.

Perhaps one is just supposed to get to know the lens and guess? I hope not.

silly question I know.

Thanks

Re: Blind Zooming?

What you see through the viewfinder is what you take the picture of. You only use the LCD to check the image once taken and to set the camera up via menus.

So when you zoom your looking through the viewfinder and you'll see exactly what the lens sees.

Try going into a local camera store and trying one out, they will be happy to help.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Ah thank you very much Roger

I appreciate the reply. I do intend to go try both out, never a bad idea. Especially with the money involved.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

the new DSLRs will allow live preview with the LCD, but I'm pretty sure you can't zoom while using live preview...

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    So when you zoom your looking through the viewfinder and you'll see exactly what the lens sees.
    This is almost just a technicality, but you'll see anywhere from about 90-100% of what the sensor sees. The less expensive the camera, the less (usually) you'll see in the viewfinder. This isn't usually much of a problem though.

It was also true with film, but prints made from negatives almost never go completely to the edge of the negs. Same story for mounted slides - the mount covers up just a bit of the frame.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

the new DSLRs will allow live preview with the LCD, but I'm pretty sure you can't zoom while using live preview...
    Why ever not ?
    Zooming on a DSLR is a manuaal function of your hand on the lens.
    Live view should show the zoom just fine.
    When I get my 1DmkIII I'll let you know for sure
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

maybe thats not it...I know it cant do something when its in live preview mode. It may be AFing though. I forget. Let me know when you get that mkIII, i may be interested in one of your older bodies!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It may be AFing though
    I think that's right.
    While in live view the mirror is up and the shutter open., otherwise light doesn't reach the sensor. So the second mirror behind the main one can't reflect light down onto the AF sensors.
    But it does have a zoom mode (not sure if it went to 1:1) on the LCD while in live view mode to allow you to manual focus. Great in the studio but I wouldn't try it for action shots
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

hmm, yes the Olympus e-410 with live preview looks nice but I can do without the live preview. Especially if my sacrifice is for such a camera as the 30D.

It is good to know that the viewfinder sees what the lens sees for a number of reasons most of them obvious. I intend to do a lot of shooting with an IR filter as well and assume I will be able to see IR through the viewfinder, as the viewfinder sees what the lens sees.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on how good the 30D viewfinder is? in comparison with higher models and the competition. A good viewfinder is obviously VERY important to me and most others.

Quote Originally Posted by dtts88
    hmm, yes the Olympus e-410 with live preview looks nice but I can do without the live preview. Especially if my sacrifice is for such a camera as the 30D.

It is good to know that the viewfinder sees what the lens sees for a number of reasons most of them obvious. I intend to do a lot of shooting with an IR filter as well and assume I will be able to see IR through the viewfinder, as the viewfinder sees what the lens sees.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on how good the 30D viewfinder is? in comparison with higher models and the competition. A good viewfinder is obviously VERY important to me and most others.
    IR is a different thing, we can't see IR so there isn't any image to see with the IR filter on. 2nd point the lens focuses IR in a different physical location than visible light you have to manually set the focus using a conversion table. The only way to see the IR is using an active IR device which converts IR into visible light.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information