Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Black and White Printing

I have recently entered the world of digital photography with the purchase of a Canon EOS 20D. I want to get into black and white work and want to know what the best dedicated printer options are. Any suggestions?

Re: Black and White Printing

I have no ideas as I'm not a printing expert, but wanted to throw a request out to ya. Since your camera can shoot in color, be sure to do so and do your black and white conversion at the computer.

I made a slideshow to prove it to you.

HIGH DEFINITION 88.4mb
    Compressed 23mb

I see you're from Santa Rosa. I'm in Petaluma till about May or June (then I'll move to Seattle area) So you might see a few familiar scenes in my slide show.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

With black and white you'll want a printer that can use multipe black and gray cartridges. As for exactly which printer I'd say one of the HP's.

Printing is an very large subject. The users will disagree on which printer is the best. I have a Epson R2400. It does great work, and the inks are rated at 70 + years on the correct paper.

If you are going to use thrid party paper you need to test..... I had blue B&W prints from CG glossy paper on an Epson C-80 printer, and red B&W prints on Kodak paper.

Take a note on the cost of the ink before you purchase as printing photos the ink can run up to and over a dollar per page with some printers on 8 by 10s
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks for the help. I think Epson is the quality choice, but, I don't like the idea of not changing the print head when changing cartridges. I don't print in volume and cleaning would eventually be an issue. Is there a middle ground somewhere?

I had an Epson 740i in storage for a year, it was my main printer heavely used before it was put away. I took it out of storage and it printed without any problems. But then I had a second 740i and it was not used a lot and it was a b**# to get working after it came out of storage. I've only had one time where I had a real problem but there was something wrong with a ink tank senser there was not any ink but it was saying it had ink. Keep in mind that if you refill you own ink you color balance can go down the drane.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information