Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Beware: Mom With Camera

Best time of day for natural light?

I am taking some maternity shots of a friend, and I want to make sure we get them just right. I don't want any hard light around!! What time of day do you think is optimal? Shade? No Shade?

Advice appreciated.
    Kate

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not exactly a studio question, but...

CC,

I think you'd get more responses to this in either Help or Viewfinder, but no matter, maybe we can move the thread over there.

As for your question, it's real tough to give a simple answer as there are so many variables. Natural light qualities such as direction, intensity, color, and harshness can change dramatically, not only depending on the time of day, but also the weather conditions.

As you've already sensed, open shade for these types of shots is probably best, especially if there is a bright sun out with little cloud cover. While early morning and late afternoon sun is generally much softer, you then have to deal with a more dramatic sun angle and its longer shadows.

Open shade should give a nice overall brightness with no harsh shadows. It will also be easier on your subject's eyes. Just make sure your background is not too busy or distracting.

If you choose an area with a lot of foliage, also be sure your subject's clothing contrasts enough tone wise and color wise so it doesn't blend in too much...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Moved to Help with a redirect left in Studio and Lighting.
    Lara

Anytime!

Depending on location, weather conditions, so on and so forth. Shade works great, but if you are under a tree, you have to watch out for the patchy spots that come thru the leaves. A dreary overcast day is great, it's like a giant diffuser, and you'd be okay pretty much anywhere.

If this is your first one, you might want to scout out your locations ahead of time, and bribe someone to sit for some test shots. Usually, early morning or later in the afternoon/early evening work well, as the sun is not right above you. Also, if you're shooting indoors, make sure you aren't getting sun directly in your window. A sheer curtain, or a window facing another direction will give you a softer look.

Good Luck!

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Ack! I type to slowly!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Whatcha mean you type too slowly Adina? Your message is posted. Nothing is lost.

ChaosCube will see it no matter which forum she goes to. The redirect will send anyone from the original post in Studio to here, and if someone happens upon it in help, well, they will see it in help.

Since Steve thought the post would be noticed more in a different forum, I moved it to help.

ps...I read everything you write cause I find it very helpful!
    Lara

morning with dew on ground and sun coming up sun on horizon,shade of day with fill flash,or sunset.no harsh sun at all,overexposes skin and eyes squint and all that.im sure they will come out great.
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Opinionated Newbie
    ChaosCubed (I assume this means you have 3 children?) -- Off Topic question. Did you edit those images in Photoshop?

Thread Information