Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Best for sports

Best for sports

Hello everyone. I'm looking for the best action taking camera. I have a 6 month old son and I don't want to miss anything. I need a digital camera that can capture him with a quickness. Can anyone suggest the fastest digital camera for under $250 please? Thank you.

Re: Best for sports

You really don't need a sports camera for what you want, granted a fast shutter and lens would help, but you won't it for under $250 unless it's used. You might find a used Digital Rebel (aka 300D) from Canon but you'd also have to buy a couple lenses and a flash as the built in flash bites!
    When you talk about action, sports and cameras though you'd spend $1500 for a new "entry" level setup and up to $4000 for a pro body such as the Canon 1D MKII N, and that $4000 doesn't include lenses.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I can't say enough good things about the Fuji S5200...
    It's around that price - not a dslr - but a great point and shoot with a 10x zoom...
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

check out the canon s line. the s3is is a pretty impressive camera, 12x zoom, IS. may run you a bit more than 250, but worth it in my opinion.

More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy42
    Hello everyone. I'm looking for the best action taking camera. I have a 6 month old son and I don't want to miss anything. I need a digital camera that can capture him with a quickness. Can anyone suggest the fastest digital camera for under $250 please? Thank you.
    I have a Canon SD 700 IS p&s camera that I use for mountain biking. It's a pretty small camera.

Some of the good things it has is that it takes less than 5 seconds from the time you press the 'on' button to when you can take your first shot, and I think that you can take like a shot per second if you don't use flash.

I would guess that Canon A710 IS works as well, has a better zoom and has more manual stuff.

I think that both cameras are a good option for what you want. Maybe it's a little bit more than your budget, but I'm not sure about that.
    "I can't change the world, but I can change my world"

If you consider film check my signature, a film SRL camera and a F:1.4 lens... it can't get any faster than that...
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Casio

I think some of these people aren't really paying attention to what you're asking for. The compact digitals I've used with the least shutter-lag are made by Casio. Buy the best Casio compact digital you can afford and I think you'll be happy. However, you should be aware that all compact digital cameras have some noticable shutter-lag. Learning how your camera works and what it is and isn't capable of is critical. As JSPhoto implied, a real sports camera will cost you a lot more than $250.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Shutter lag is the big problem with sports photography. I take pro cycling and tennis shots mostly and just found it impossible with a compact. Frankly, if you are serious you really need an slr - even an entry level one, which are getting relatively cheaper all the time. That and a telephoto lens should see you right. The other advantage of slrs is that they allow "bursts" which can be useful when photographing rapidly moving people/objects.

Cheers
    Mike

Shutter lag is going to kill you. Check http://www.dpreview.com/ if I remember they do list shutter lag in the reviews. You may be able to get a good camera used. The only problem with digital is the lack of a archival storage for the images as recordable CD or DVDs don't have a archival storage shelf life.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information